MIDI control of Ethno loops

Moderator: James Steele

stanhoffman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI control of Ethno loops

Post by stanhoffman »

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to work with loops.

I loaded the "93-G Mongol Khomus 13" loop into A-1.
I set a MIDI track to output to this slot.
With the track record-enabled, when I press a key on my keyboard down, the loop sounds, when I release the key it stops.

Then I step-entered a whole note into the track. When I play back, the loop begins when the whole note starts, but it never stops.
Playing with the controls in the Ethno window, I found that the loop is in slice mode (this is fine), and in the lower right corner of the window "Auto Play" is enabled. "Aha!", I thought. I disabled "Auto Play" and Presto--the loop now stops at the end of the note.

But the sound is different in both pitch and quality than it was when I played it from the keyboard.

Why? How can I get it to sound the same when the MIDI recording is played back?

Thanks,

Stan
carrythebanner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI control of Ethno loops

Post by carrythebanner »

Make sure you're triggering the loop at its root note. In the case of "93-G Mongol Khomus 13", insert a G3 in your MIDI track.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
stanhoffman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MIDI control of Ethno loops

Post by stanhoffman »

Thank you. But that doesn't seem to be the issue. On further experimentation, I'm finding that when "Auto play" is enabled, the loop plays whenever DP is playing. When it is not, the MIDI notes trigger and silence loops as expected. However, there seems to be some built-in transposition. I have entered MIDI note D2, when DP plays back, it plays it an octave higher than the loops sounds when I play a D2 on the keyboard.... I can live with this, but it would be nicer if the "written" and "sounding" pitches corresponded. There is no transposition set for this channel/loop in Ethno's "Pitch" section.