MSI orchestral arrangement (mp3 links inside)

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

AJS Music
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MSI orchestral arrangement (mp3 links inside)

Post by AJS Music »

I'm not a regular contributor to these forums, but I made a post recently and thought I should try and be a little more active. :)

So, since I only own MSI, I thought I'd post an arrangement of a theme song I did for a friend of mine who runs Pirate Palooza ... and, who also invented the rPhone. The original theme was composed and performed by somebody else - I only created the orchestral version.

Each download goes for about 1 minute:
Here is the original (intentionally piratesque) guitar theme "In the gutter": link (713 MB)
Here is my orchestral arrangement of it: link (1.3 MB)

It was made using Garage Band and MSI. GB doesn't offer meter changes so I had to string along a full 6/8 sequence and at some points ignore bar lines - but I think this worked. It was only for fun, but I'd appreciate any feedback or comments you might like to make.

I figure poor old MSI doesn't get that much love these days, so hopefully this can build his (her?) esteem a tad. ;)

I can't get the BB code [url] tags to work for my mp3 files, so it looks like you'll have to copy and paste those links. :(
[EDIT] - I took the spaces out of the filenames so now those links should work. :D
AJS Music

Post by AJS Music »

33 views and no comment? :?

All feedback is welcome ... I did this as much for MSI's esteem as I did mine. ;)
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dwetmaster »

I've always been "in between" as to weither I should buy MSI or not. not everyone is positive on it. Your example is definitely a "+1" on the "pro" side :) I could use a bit of Altiverb to give it a bit more life and glue between the parts, but It's majestic enough... I see myself on that ship fighting the pirates...

I may get it at the same time I buy Mach five...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
AJS Music

Post by AJS Music »

Thanks Dwetmaster - I appreciate you taking the time to listen and post your comments.

Re: the pirate ship ... actually this guy (Cap'n Drew) is a space pirate. He created cardboard stormtroopers too. It's all a bit inane, but I like his sense of obtuse humour.

Re: MSI - it was my first opportunity to use MSI and I enjoyed it. I'm not doing film scores or anything like that, so for the money spent I was not disappointed. The samples are by no means perfect across the board, but I run a pretty lean system so I don't have anything to compare and contrast MOTU's work to in this regard aside from GB sounds. If you're going to buy Mach 5 I'm not sure whether you'll actually need MSI, but if you do end up buying it, I hope it proves useful enough for you too. :)
ankely

Re: MSI orchestral arrangement (mp3 links inside)

Post by ankely »

33 views...

This board is pretty dry.

It was cool.
It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
monkey man

Re: MSI orchestral arrangement (mp3 links inside)

Post by monkey man »

Good effort, AJS. I'm still considering MSI as perhaps my first VI purchase; my ROMplers don't seem to cut it in this department, "smallness" being a major factor, something I'd attribute to limited sample ROM.

I agree that the only obvious thing missing is a sense of depth on most instruments. Those strings sure could do with some of that glue Dwetmaster spoke of.

The brass was sufficiently bold and convincing IMHO. The arrangement showed imagination too.

Time to ditch GB and buy DP, mereckons. LOL

Oh, and thank you for the direct link; I've had to pass up many of these threads due to my inability to PooToob on dialup.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here