New Motu Product? BPM?

Moderator: ssp

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Motu Product? BPM?

Post by James Steele »

tommymandel wrote:Hi James, I just got this:

You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.

How did it KNOW that I hadn't bought BPM, and was just planning on Lurking? :mrgreen:
Hmmm... sorry about that. When I created it I thought it would have the right permissions. Let me know if it's working now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

I think it's still not working - I got the same message, even though I deleted my cache, and reloaded the page.
I'm turning in now, but I'm sure James'll have it going before you can say "Flyin V".
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Hey James -

Cool new avatar!

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Maybe I'm missing something, but BPM appears to be functionally identical to fxpansion's Guru: http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=4&tab=21 which has been out for a while now.

I can't get my head wrapped around the concept of a "virtual Akai MPC", which is obviously what they are trying to emulate. The essence of a machine like that is the hardware interface itself, pad reponse, etc - just ask someone who uses them. Once you take that away you're largely left with a generic sampler with a few ad-ons. Having a "virtual MPC" is like having a "virtual Kurzweil PC2X piano-action". The picture on the screen doesn't mean diddly if you're playing it with an Oxygen keyboard. But maybe I'm missing something....
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

philbrown wrote:The picture on the screen doesn't mean diddly if you're playing it with an Oxygen keyboard.
That might be true, but if you're using a pad controller (like some of the ones Akai has made lately), having the exact same pads on screen makes a lot more sense.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

philbrown wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but BPM appears to be functionally identical to fxpansion's Guru: http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=4&tab=21 which has been out for a while now....
Nope. I don't think you are missing anything. It's like GURU with an updated interface and a few additional bells and whistles...

Not saying that's a bad thing. Just is.

15GBs of "urban rhythm" sounds....goodness. I hope they post some info on the other genres that can be stretched to...that's a lot of library.

I suppose the drag and drop goodness possible with Rex and other formats expands it a bit. But I would have loved to see that library also encompass some "world", orchestral, industrial, glitch....

Come to think of it, GURU does have many many more styles and genres available though a much smaller library.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

nk_e wrote:
philbrown wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but BPM appears to be functionally identical to fxpansion's Guru: http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=4&tab=21 which has been out for a while now....
Nope. I don't think you are missing anything. It's like GURU with an updated interface and a few additional bells and whistles...

Not saying that's a bad thing. Just is.

15GBs of "urban rhythm" sounds....goodness. I hope they post some info on the other genres that can be stretched to...that's a lot of library.

I suppose the drag and drop goodness possible with Rex and other formats expands it a bit. But I would have loved to see that library also encompass some "world", orchestral, industrial, glitch....

Come to think of it, GURU does have many many more styles and genres available though a much smaller library.
I think you can use the sample libraries from other MOTU instrument plug-ins with BPM, which greatly expands your choices: MSI, Ethno, MachFive 2, and Electric Keys. Also, you can use any sample library from UVI SoundSource (uvisoundsource.com).
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
Cairns
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Cairns »

Okay.. my wife called and I got the BPM waiting for me at home.. GOD! I want to go home.. Should I fake stomach cramps? Sit in the bathroom for a really long time? Have my wife call an say our daughter is sick? Please help me everyone, what should I do? :lol: :lol:

Most likely I just have to tough it out..
Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Cool... it will be interesting to hear the reports. Any way, now that I've created a BPM forum here, I'll move this topic over there. :D

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Cairns
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Cairns »

Question for everyone that has BPM.. Is there a way I can change teh (Black & White lettering to a different color) on the instrument, kits, kit+pattern tabs? I think they are kind of hard to see...

James please forgive if this is in the wrong area.. Is it possible to create a General question thread?
Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Cairns wrote:Question for everyone that has BPM.. Is there a way I can change teh (Black & White lettering to a different color) on the instrument, kits, kit+pattern tabs? I think they are kind of hard to see...

James please forgive if this is in the wrong area.. Is it possible to create a General question thread?
Just post in the root level... up one in BPM.