Creating new downbeats for scoring

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
JMage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Creating new downbeats for scoring

Post by JMage »

Hey all, I have been using dp for 10 years but am relatively new to the world of using it for high level scoring work...
here is the situation I am trying to improve:
I am scoring to picture at 58 bpm. The music comes to a climax, then stops.
a few seconds later, the theme starts again, in time with a new image onscreen.
What is the best way to score/conduct that arbitrary rest, so that when the theme starts again, it is lined up properly with DP's measure markers?
At present, I usually just slow down the tempo to create the right length rest, but this is an awkward process. I imagine I could create new time signatures for a few measures to solve the same problem (like a measure of 13/8, say) but this seems highly awkward.
Is There a Better Way?
DP 5.13/ G5 tower and Macbook Pro/Stylus RMX/Waves Diamond/Waves API/Atmosphere/Kontakt 2
bkshepard

Re: Creating new downbeats for scoring

Post by bkshepard »

Are you actually conducting musicians, or are you talking about the conductor track? If it's the conductor track, just put in the long measure or really slow tempo whatever's most convenient. If you are actually conducting, it's fairly common to have musical cues that start and stop. Have the first cue stop, then program in metronome streamers or flashes in DP that count off into the beginning of the new cue.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bkshepard wrote:Are you actually conducting musicians, or are you talking about the conductor track? If it's the conductor track, just put in the long measure or really slow tempo whatever's most convenient. If you are actually conducting, it's fairly common to have musical cues that start and stop. Have the first cue stop, then program in metronome streamers or flashes in DP that count off into the beginning of the new cue.
+1

Exactly. Even if you didn't stop the music, you could just sustain it as if it was a fermata, and the streamer/punch would cue you, so you can conduct the musicians for the 2nd entrance of the theme.
And as BKShepard wrote, if you are not conducting real musicians, just make whatever measure change you need to make it fit. Or slow the tempo using the automated feature in the Change Tempo dialog box. It'll figure out the necessary tempo for you, so it conforms automatically to hit your marker perfectly.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
JMage

Post by JMage »

Thanks guys...I will explore both of these...
DP 5.13/ G5 tower and Macbook Pro/Stylus RMX/Waves Diamond/Waves API/Atmosphere/Kontakt 2