Small, cheap? speakers to reference mix in the real world.

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
wvandyck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Small, cheap? speakers to reference mix in the real world.

Post by wvandyck »

What are folks using? Mixcubes?
Cheap computer speakers?

Also, what affordable switching devices? Big Knob? Presonus Monitor Station?, Coleman Audio LS3?

I'm looking to add small speakers to judge how mixes will sound on bass light speakers.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
resolectric
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Small, cheap? speakers to reference mix in the real world.

Post by resolectric »

I use a pair of Logitech computer speakers but don't really rely on them as much as i do on a series of different places where i take my Masters to hear.
I am a regular visit to some of my friend's houses and to their hi-fi systems. Also, there's a couple of shops where i tend to go and ask them to have my recent mixes played in the ambient sound system. Sometimes i even buy a new shirt ;)
The local coffee shop too. For some types of music, hearing how things translate into the "real world" by using the real world instead of another emulation, seems to be the best way to judge.
Listening in the car, on the ipod, at home, through a tv, everything can be useful and clarify occasional problems that weren't apparent in a studio setup.

As for switching systems, if you mean Speaker switchers i'd recommend QED. Check their website.
Last edited by resolectric on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulo Miranda - AMPstudio
Silence is the new loud.
©
therealbigd

Post by therealbigd »

if you want a really nice speaker switcher, and have a bit of cash, try the Audient Centro.

it's essentially a master section from an audient console, rackmounted, with an external controller. Lovely.

Big knob is a cool bit of kit, I just get nervous about sticking Mackie stuff in my signal path.

http://www.audient.com/audient/product/centro
http://www.dv247.com/invt/51360/
Just remember kiddies, You can't polish a turd.

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 15" i5 + MBP 2.4 15" C2D, MOTU 828mkII FW (Logic 9), Wilson Benesch Arcs + Cyrus Amps; PMC DB1S+ & MC2 Amps; REL Acoustics Strata 5 Sub.
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

There were some good speaker suggestions in this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 67#p258067
Ron
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I use Avantone passives for that midrange perpective. No crossover. No phase issues. Little bottom end. Kinda' like what comes out of the speakers in the ceiling at offices. Helpful.

I'm using the Presonus Monitor Station, a recent purchase, under $300. Liking it so far. Sounds great. Headphone amps (4) are strong. Feature set is perfect for me.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I just got a pair of the new Mackie MR5 for $300. Pretty awesome sound for being so cheap. They're on the small side for powered bi-amped monitors, relative to anything with an 8" woofer, of course. These use 5" woofers, and the bass is pretty solid. They're flat like the rest of the Mackie line.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
bOing

Post by bOing »

+1 on the Presonus Monitor Station. A purchase I'm glad I waited to make since I think it usurps the other options in terms of portability and flexibility at such a low price.

I still have Mackie 824s, but when they're not on, I currently run my monitor signal through the Logitech $30.00 desktop speakers that let me hear things pretty good. CDs sound decent on them, so that's my reference point. But when things get more serious, I turn on the 824s. I use the small speakers just for writing parts where sound doesn't matter much.

Keep in mind I'm not running a commercial facility here, so I don't have peer pressure and clients pointing and laughing - although I do catch my cat grinning at times...

:)
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
miguelmrq

Post by miguelmrq »

I love these things!
bOing

Post by bOing »

miguelmrq wrote:I love these things!
And, they keep the room nice and toasty! But seriously, they look like my little portable heater. Probably sound a lot better though. ;)

[Edit, I was trying to read the name. Fostex, right?]
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
miguelmrq

Post by miguelmrq »

Yes! Fostex 6301B. It does work. I have only no so I can check mono too! If it sounds good there it will sound good anywhere.

They came in a lot of options, including with digital ins and stuff like that.
bOing

Post by bOing »

miguelmrq wrote:Yes! Fostex 6301B. It does work. I have only no so I can check mono too! If it sounds good there it will sound good anywhere.

They came in a lot of options, including with digital ins and stuff like that.
Sounds good to me. :)
mamacote
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mamacote »

.....i've been using the krk-v4's.........love'm..........