Starting Out Questions -- QT, File Size, File Transfer, Etc.

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
DMac
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Starting Out Questions -- QT, File Size, File Transfer, Etc.

Post by DMac »

…sorry to bother you all with some really mundane, basic questions, but here goes.

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows an agency producer guy who is producing a simple 10-minute sales/product videotape (simple sales force stuff) and suggested that I give this last guy a call to see if I could get a version to score. : )

1. In talking to him, would I ask him for a QuickTime movie of the project? Is that an easy request or would it be just an annoyance that both he and his editor don’t have the time or interest to produce and send?

2. Do I have to ask for a specific frame rate, resolution, etc.?

3. How big of a file size would a 10-minute QT movie typically be and is it something that could be emailed or is there a better way that you all could suggest? I have FIOS internet, but I think there are attachment size limitations on normal e-mail. I’ve looked at YouSendIt and SendMeThisFile for sending and receiving files but I don’t know if these would be acceptable from a client’s standpoint in terms of security or even just the appearance of being a flat out, rank amateur (in this case, appearances wouldn’t be lying).

4. If there’s something else I’m missing, any mention of it would not be unappreciated (that is to say, very appreciated).

5. I’m too embarrassed to ask about what I might charge for something like this, but since I’ve elegantly backed myself into that very question, maybe just an indication of what’s reasonable for standard corporate fare would be helpful.

Thanks for your help. If you’re interested, I’ve posted some very short, quick music samples on SoundClick. None of is very good, but it’s my best efforts for now and I figure it’s better to start badly than to not start at all. If you have any suggestions or critiques (negative is fine as long as you don’t simply say, give it up and crawl back under the rock), feel free.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=885869

Thanks much!

DM
nvrsay
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Starting Out Questions -- QT, File Size, File Transfer, Etc.

Post by nvrsay »

Asking for a QuickTime of the video is pretty standard. Resolution, frame rate will be whatever they want to send you.
Won't matter on your end. DP works well with locking up the QT movie to your tracks.
The file size will probably be too big for email even if they reduce the quality.
Usually the client has an FTP (File Transfer Protocol?)site you can go to and download the QT.
Often they will have you upload your music back to the FTP site. They will have a "public " section for you to access.
You need an FTP software program,Classic FTP is a good one for Macs. it's free, google FTP software.
You can also use something like Apple's iDisk now called Mobile Me,$99 a year, Basically some space on a server somewhere.
Apple's is i think about 10GBs of space so it will handle decent amounts of video and audio. You can have them send it to your iDisk
and let them access your Public folder for the music you upload.
I don't know anything about the YouSendIt stuff.
Work up a few quick demos, 30 sec long or so, to send them to make sure you're on the right track. Don't spend days
on long pieces without some approval of what you're doing. Remember your music will be background, it needs
to sit under the dialog. The hardest part is getting a good description from them of what they want. Some producers
are good at describing music others are not. often they will reference an existing piece of music or artist or style.
That's where the short ideas come in at the start. Also they will need to let you know how many "cues" (pieces of music)
they want and where they want them.
Check out Jeff Rona's web site and book - "The Reel World, Scoring for Pictures" for a start. Lot's of other books on Amazon.
Money at your level is usually something they will set. They'll let you know what their budget is. You either take it or leave it.
May only be a few hundred dollars.
The idea is to find out enough info in advance so you don't spend days writing pieces of music they don't want.
This is where loop libraries come into play. Quick way to get pieces started. Remember, the faster you get it done, the more you've made per hour.
Since the money will probably be minimal, try to retain your ownership of the compositions. Often you just license the music to them.
Usage restricted to the particular project, any use for another project subject to good faith negotiation and all that. You can use the music again for another job.
You will need a contract of some sort, check out NOLO Press for books on contracts related to creative work.
Hope this is of some help, not an expert by any means but I've done a variety of small projects over the years and have picked up info here and there.
FZ
Macbook Pro/M-Audio 410/2 GB/10.4.11/5.13/G4/2408 mkII
DMac
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by DMac »

...hey FZ,

Thanks so much for the answer. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for, just some pragmatic, basic guidance in terms of clients, costs and project logistics! I just want to sound at least semi-literate to start. And especially thanks for the tip about (ed:sending) in a 30-second demo to make sure things are on the right track. That's something I'd never have thought about. I'd just bury my head in the project until it was finished, send it off probably an hour from the real deadline and then get the rude surprise that it was completely, awfully wrong :)

Thanks again!!
nvrsay
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by nvrsay »

Glad to be of help.
Just can't emphasize enough, make sure you're very clear about what the client wants. Sometimes you have to keep sending variations to find out what they want.
Drums in intro then drop out, no drums at intro then rest of the way through. No drums at all. Some kind of light percussion only. Big dramatic tympani at the start.
no chord changes, just a slowly developing part that never gets in the way of the dialog, a rocking lead guitar song, etc., etc.
Another way of working sometimes, when the client will be doing an elaborate mix, is to break your music into "stems".
Stereo drum mix, stereo synths, stereo percussion, stereo lead parts. You get your mix to sound the way you want but then bounce down or mix down certain groups of sound separately. They can then adjust the volumes of various sections independent of others. Drums need to come down sooner than you thought, they just lower the drum stem, and so on. Sometimes they don't want stems. Too much work. We just want the finished mix and it's going to get buried down low behind all the dialog and sound fx anyway.
Also, find out what resolution they want the files. Most of the projects I've done involving film, usually they wanted 48hz. Someone once told me it's because of Final Cut software needs. DP records fine at 48hz obviously. If you're used to working at 44 don't forget to change resolution. I've started something before and then realized I was still at 44hz and had to start over.
Anyway, good luck again, glad I could offer my 2 cents.
FZ
Macbook Pro/M-Audio 410/2 GB/10.4.11/5.13/G4/2408 mkII