Pro tools and MOTU not getting along

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

redear
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pro tools and MOTU not getting along

Post by redear »

I am running a G4 Mac with Tiger and PT7 and we are trying to get MSI to work for us. The funny thing is that it used to. Now it does not.
I can test it on a trac we recorded previously and MOTU works, but when it is in a new file there is no respoce. Even if I import a working set of tracs in to a new file it does not work. Any ides or help?
Smeagle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Smeagle »

How is it not working? If MSI loads but recieves no MIDI signal then your MIDI controller might have different MSB / LSB bank settings in the new song file. try finding a song that works and comparing those two settings?
Daveishness

Long Save

Post by Daveishness »

I agree. PT does not seem to like the presence of MSI. The problem that i am having is that every 5 minutes when PT does a automatic backup, i have to sit at my desk for 10 seconds like a dope because the save takes so long.

Has anybody heard of this problem or know how to fix it?
David Bock
Starbeat Recording Studios
Deerfield, IL
yealf

Post by yealf »

I find mach 5 and SI both a bit shakey with protools. Much better with DP.
The MIDI timing in Mach 5 with protools is not even close to accurate. Haven't tested SI for that yet. Streaming seems to instantly crash PT. even though mach 5 folder is on it's own SATA internal drive on the g5
G5 Dual 2gig 3gRam >DP 4.52/Mach51.2/Komplete2/ G5 Dual 1.8gig 2gRam>PToolsHD 6.7/canopus
i am monster face

Re: Long Save

Post by i am monster face »

Daveishness wrote:I agree. PT does not seem to like the presence of MSI. The problem that i am having is that every 5 minutes when PT does a automatic backup, i have to sit at my desk for 10 seconds like a dope because the save takes so long.

Has anybody heard of this problem or know how to fix it?
This happens to me to. Isn't that a horrible problem? I hate it.
Daveishness

Post by Daveishness »

Has anybody tried getting MOTU to try and fix it, because i am talking to the developers to see if it is an easy fix problem. Maybe in the next update or somthing.

If anybody else wants to call tech support and complain about this, that would be great. The more complaints there are, the better the chance that MOTU will think about making the effort to fix this. :x
David Bock
Starbeat Recording Studios
Deerfield, IL
Jim Morris

Spinning Ball Of Death (Pinwheel of Ultimate Peril)

Post by Jim Morris »

Using PT7.1 it seems like the presence of MSI is definately causing "freezes" as the app tries to save. This happens whether or not the instrument is active during the passage you are in in the session. It just needs to be instantiated at some point. I'm not sure, but i seems like Ethno Instrument might be free of this particular bug.
Don't misunderstand, it doesn't crash -- It just causes long delays when either saving or auto-saving the ProTools doc. This is on a G5 dual 2.7 with 2.5 Gig and PT HD 3 Accel.

Work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Morris
i am monster face

Post by i am monster face »

Same problem here. I'm running a PC based on an AMD XP3200 with 2 gigs or RAM. Ethno and MachFive work well (except for not having any updates in Machfive that allow me to import the SI files. ...ahhhhhhhhhh). I figured it was because I was on a PC and Motu doesn't like me using a PC. I have also grown weary of occasional CPU spikes and having to wait a while after closing the session containing SI to perform another task (clicking on open).

The auto save issue isn't as bad as it has been. Before I upgraded to 6.9, I would get freezes in audio. Now my meters and visuals lock up, but I still have audio.

Ian
quatrosound

Re: Pro tools and MOTU not getting along

Post by quatrosound »

I just installed SI and on my PT HD2 version 7.4 on Mac OSX 10.4.8 and find it is unusable. Constant random clicks, pops, performance timing is way off, and can not automate the plugin parameters (the automation dialogue offers no choices o select). Is this the was SI is supposed to perform? I should add that without running the SI plugin my system is rock solid, I do sound post for feature films (very large sessions), large track counts, sufficient TDM plugs, and even certain RTAS plugs like the Waves Bundle for surround 5.1. Any advise from MOTU?
technotrash

Post by technotrash »

Confirmed. Pro Tools HD 7.3.x Mac OS 10.4.x was running with all MSI Plugs very nicely. Upgrade to 7.4.2 OS 10.5.4, NOW ONLY MX4 will run. Experiencing similar problems as described on this post with SI, Ethno, M5II. Very unfortunate. No response from support in over a week. I have to think this is either a Mac OSX or PT 7.X problem that has yet to be solved. Standing by...
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

I had a problem with some VIs not functioning on instrument tracks in PT unless you set the inputs to a valid input.

That may not solve your problem, but it is worth trying

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..