Printer Rental in LA

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
bkshepard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Printer Rental in LA

Post by bkshepard »

Hey Gang,

Have any of you had experience renting printers in the LA area? I don't have access to the large printer I used to use all the time, and have a big orchestra job I need to print and am looking to rent a printer for one month. I've done the Kinkos thing and the cost per page is huge there, so I'm looking at other options. I don't do this often enough to warrant purchasing one yet, so I'm exploring this option. What I'm looking for is a vendor who leases printers capable of 11x17 and custom (10x13) printing. Any experience in this arena would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Printer Rental in LA

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Bought one of these guys on eBay for $550 (using 'make an offer' on eBay). The guy is a business supply house in TX and has another one on eBay right now. He's also a very nice guy. This printer usually sells for $850-1500! I don't know how he does it, but he does. And he's legit.

CLICK FOR LINK

I just printed a quintet for piano and strings (9.5 x 12.5 for strings, 11x17 for pno.cond) and it is by far the fastest printer I've seen. Great copies. The toner is about $170 from this guy ($250 otherwise) and is good for 20k copies. The printer comes with enough toner for about 3k copies. The unit is rated at 150,000 pages per month!

I cannot recommend this highly enough and by the time you rent, you can own. As you know, wide format laser usually runs around $3k. This is an awesome find and worth every penny. BTW, it doesn't say it has USB (only etherneet) but it has USB.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I agree. For the cost of rental for one month, it makes more sense to buy one. Laser printers are great and expensive, but inkjets have come a long way. I use two exclusively and have yet to make the migration to laser. You can get a tabloid inkjet in between $150-400 range. I'm sure that printer rental will cost $100/wk.

Inkjets:

Epson Stylus Photo 1400: less than $300

Hewlett Packard - HP Photosmart Pro B8350: less than $300

That Ricoh for $550 is a good deal for a laser and does a good job. I just can't imagine renting a printer for a month for much less than what the used Ricoh or the new Epson and HP's are going for.

One way I've extended the mileage out of my inkjets is to use good paper. I recommend Waussau 60lb cover or 90lb regular. You'd be amazed at what good paper with a fine finish can do to your results no matter what type of printer you use.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the leads. That Ricoh sounds really good. I think I'm going to go that route. As for paper, I know what you mean Frodo, I've got a huge box of Ivory 90lb that I bought awhile back and have been working through. I love the way it looks and feels--and holds up in orchestra folders!
-Brian

MIDI Life Crisis

The main thing about the laser v. the inkjet - even the fastest inkjet - is the speed. My Epson inkjets (still have 'em) take a couple of minutes per page. A conductors score for a moderately sized piece might take an hour or more to print and heaven forbid if a page misfeeds and you have to reprint the whole thing. Then parts can take 'a few days' to get done. This Ricoh spits the paper out faster than I can keep up. The thing I didn't expect is that it effects how efficiently I can work and make corrections, etc.

I hear you on the paper thing as well, guys. My last time out I bought 6 reams of 9.5 x 12.5 (ivory) and 1 of 11 x 17. The difference in durability, appearance and ease on the eyes makes all the difference in the world. It's all about how it lays on the page.

Anyway, I do think you are making the right choice, Brian. If you want to pick my brain after you get the machine, drop a PM. BTW, I was going to buy the duplexer but with the speed this thing prints, you can "duplex" effortlessly using the 'manual' method.

Go get 'em!

ps- I just noticed that the eBay picture shows an extra tray at the bottom. That isn't part of the standard printer, but you do get a bypass tray and the standard tray handles up to 11 x 17.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

It's on the way! Thanks for the lead! :D
-Brian

MIDI Life Crisis

bkshepard wrote:It's on the way! Thanks for the lead! :D
Cool! You won't be sorry.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I may be on the verge of acquiring a pair of lasers. With lasers being faster, then two lasers must be the bomb.

I've got some end-of-the-year tax allowances to make up for...
MIDI Life Crisis

Frodo wrote:I may be on the verge of acquiring a pair of lasers...
A hobbit with a laser. Now there's an image for you. We may have to change your name to Yoda.

''mmmmMMMmmm... buying a laser are you? You seek, eBay. Yessss. Help you I will...."

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Ah, but the hobbit may opt for TWO or more!!

http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/ge ... ievous.jpg
MIDI Life Crisis

Frodo wrote:Ah, but the hobbit may opt for TWO or more!!

http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/ge ... ievous.jpg
Wait a minute! Are we talking Star Wars or Lord of the Rings? Maybe Lord of the Ringed Galaxy?!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Well, I know that I'm due for a serious upgrade because all I have to work with right now is this: