DP6 stability

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP6 stability

Post by monkey man »

kassonica wrote:
monkey man wrote:Er... I am, Mr. C. LOL
I thought you were horseshack :D
Well, I do deal with associated products most of the day, so that's close. In fact, you're only two letters off there. LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bOing

Post by bOing »

Hey guys. :) I just spent two days learning some basic functionality in a rather sophisticated DAW called Reaper. I think it would be a good exercise to check out the fully functioning Mac Beta demo and then revisit DP to get an idea of what we're missing.

The reason I tried this app. was to test my new Nomad Plugins, whose crackly controls stopped crackling in Reaper. This proved to me that DP 6 has some deep seated audio issues. I've been fortunate not to have corrupted files, but I'm worried about continuing to work in an app. that has become so deep that it's lost its surface luster. In just two days I have seen that there are things much greener on the other side of the DAW fence.

I've used Cubase, Nuendo and Tracktion over the years, so I'm pretty familiar with various work flows and methods. I think what the Reaper guys have done is created a very efficient "best of" design with simple and logical features that 98% of us would actually make use of. And their key commands are awesome and incredibly intuitive. It's a bit of a reality check in that I wish DP6 would offer some of this advanced simplicity.

All the MIDI functionality seems to be there and...get this: in the Reaper preferences, there's a section devoted entirely to customizing the look of the interface, with importable skins. They also have native Stillwell and Schwa plugins (which some here think very highly of) along with some very sophisticated and unexpected extras. I was blown away because I thought at first it was a toy...but I guess my first impression was wrong.

Anyway, it makes getting back to work in DP6 a bit of an eye opener. Reaper tops out at a full 8 MB download yet offers not only VST but also AU support and formats I'm entirely unfamiliar with but getting to love.

I think the guys at MOTU should download this app to learn from and get re-inspired. I know I am.
Last edited by bOing on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Interesting that would be something to check out if you where looking for a DAW to run on a Windose box.
I don't think my brain could handling learning a new DAW right now.
I'm really hoping MOTU is working on clearing up some of these issues I just had a disappearing act again.
No errors no warning just gone off the screen.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bOing

Post by bOing »

wylie1 wrote:Interesting that would be something to check out if you where looking for a DAW to run on a Windose box.
I don't think my brain could handling learning a new DAW right now.
I'm really hoping MOTU is working on clearing up some of these issues I just had a disappearing act again.
No errors no warning just gone off the screen.
Reaper is also OSX. Beta though. But they update constantly and seem very enthusiastic about their work in a non-marketing hype kind of way. Very refreshing. I think what I will do is continue to learn how to use Reaper while awaiting the next release of DP. DP is obviously very sophisticated, but I suppose I've been working with it for so long that adequate has come to seem normal... Yesterday I nudged MIDI notes up, down, sideways and in octave leaps via simple key commands. I'm enjoying this fling, which may turn serious.
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

how abou surround?

i heard a rumour today that PT LE is finally gonna have surround support...

that seems quite serious- i wonder if it will be enough for me?
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

martian wrote:how abou surround?
If thats Canadian I think its aboot
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bOing

Post by bOing »

wylie1 wrote:
There's only one type of Canadian that speaks like that ("aboot") and they're from the East coast where many are of Scottish and Irish heritage, which explains that language quirk as something distinctly non-Canadian.

Damn you, South Park and the Simpsons! :lol:

re; surround. I don't see Reaper as a replacement for broadcast level apps. with video type requirements, but the coders seem like they're a talented group - and anyone who's seen those Stillwell plugin graphics knows that there's some serious graphics talent lurking in the background, too. But considering that they seem to be addressing real world needs, I don't see how they could avoid surround. I've never used it, but I still listen to music through two speakers, so I don't know the difference.

Many of us here use more than one app. I'd like to think that Reaper will become my primary or secondary audio recording app. for me just based upon its simplicity and ease of use. And with the need for PEAK and WavePad type apps out there, anything is possible. But that's me...
martian

Post by martian »

yeah I had a canoot?friend?( is that an ok term? those guys used it......) any way when they were drunk they did seem very celtic!

it's no rumour regarding PT 8

still limited - 64tracks

but 7.1 surround is do-able...

has an auto save,,,

didnt spot the price.. if it's cheaper than Nuendo I might give it a go-

of course the perfect solution for me and my staff is for MOTU to fix these stability issues-

lets hope they do...

are they listening or in denial?
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Canoot?
that was funny I needed a laugh.
Thanx
scott dansby

Post by scott dansby »

I had the exact same problem with DP6. I had the crashing problem when I tried to use fades. I called tech support and after a month I was able to finally have the system work. One of the first things they suggested was to create a new user account and try a new session. When I used fades with this DP didn't crash. Eventually I started using this new test account as my main account. This also opened up new issues of problems with other plugins.
Here is a link to the motunation topic I posted.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 75#p239875

Good luck.
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0, Motu 896 HD, DP 6, Event 20/20, Reason 4, Ableton 5, AT 4050, Line 6 Pod, Rhodes Mark 1, Roland Juno 106, Arturia Analog Factory, Korg Pad Kontrol, Ampeg Gemini, Fender Twin, mics and pedals.....
martian

Post by martian »

wylie1 wrote:Canoot?
that was funny I needed a laugh.
Thanx
watch out there'sa canoot aboot...

giddy

Post by giddy »

Unhappy Issues in DP 6
A few issues I cant seem to shake in DP 6:

1. Random drop outs on faded regions during bounce to disk.

2. The spinning ball of doom when I try to play a selected bite or region.

3. Upon playback start up I hear several ms of junk from bites ahead in the track (even sometimes located a minute or two later in time!)

4. Inconsistencies in pitch correction (as mentioned in this thread above), sometimes resulting in having to edit the same file multiple times.

5. Inconsistencies in AU plug in performance (mainly audio, but sometimes Vi's as well), IE... Shifts in time/tempo lock(delays mainly), phase drift(to similar tracks), dropped bite playback, Playback of THE WRONG BITE.

6. Embarrassment of crashing during takes. (that one is the worst)
Dumm dee dum, lets just wait while the program reloads.... "By the way how's your headphone balance?"
I've had a "Tech link" running with their Tech support for a little over 2 weeks with NO REPLY. What the heck?
I have been using this program since 1997.
What is happening here? I feel like I need to grab me a version of Nuendo.

Has anyone else out there experienced most of these as well... Any fixes?
I've tried playing with Pre load timing and all that...

Thanks for listening, and for all that yall do!
bOing

Post by bOing »

giddy wrote:...Has anyone else out there experienced most of these as well... Any fixes?
No, uh...um [tapping nervously] I have no idea what you're talking about. Try next door.

With two posts at this forum you don't look like a long-term exasperated seeker of DP wisdom. I think you'll find some answers here and there, and the others will hopefully be addressed (or ignored) by MOTU during the next release. At that time you can decide whether they are taking the future of their DAW seriously or not.

In the meantime, keep your eyes on Reaper, an up and coming DAW that may overthrow them all one day.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wylie1 wrote:
If that's Amercan, it's abat?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
conleycd

Post by conleycd »

Do you think any got fired at MOTU for DP6? I haven't been a DP user since 3.11 or anything but I have since 4.0 and this just sounds aweful. I had no problems with DP 5.0 ever - mind you my 3rd party stuff has been limited up until recently. But honestly, I think DP 6 is soooo embarrassing.

CC
Mac Pro 5 (Early 2009) - 6 - Core, 32 gig RAM, Radeon RX 580. Mojave 10.14.6. DP 10.1