Collaboration contract advice needed

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
seasiderecording
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Collaboration contract advice needed

Post by seasiderecording »

I have been collaboration with songwriters and I would like advice on a contract to share earnings from either the songs or music sales. I usually prodice all music, playing most guitar, bass, and keyboard parts myself.
This is my basic framework.

My client pays a set fee or hourly rate for me to create the song. The client basically handles all expenses. I own a percentage of the creation and profits that come from sales, something between 10 and 20 %. I sometimes offer that payments to me don't begin until initial production costs are recovered by my client. Any sale or use of instrumental tracks is split 50/50. I would appreciate any comments or example contracts on this. Thanks in advance.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Collaboration contract advice needed

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you are arranging, I would charge a flat fee at a higher rate. If you are composing, you are entitled to a percentage split equally among other collaborators.

Join ASCAP or BMI and they can provide collaborative info. You might also find stuff on their sites, or do a Google search for the terms (collab; agreement; percentage, etc.)

If you are a member of the Musician's Union and are working under a union agreement (which I suspect you are not) there are specific union contracts that might apply as arranger and performer.

Finally, while you may enter into an agreement, it might not be valid if the song hits and an agent or manager challenges you on it. It would be worth your time to have a intellectual property lawyer look at your agreement boilerplate. You only need to do that once.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
seasiderecording

Thanks

Post by seasiderecording »

Thanks for your comments
NashvilleJoe

Re: Collaboration contract advice needed

Post by NashvilleJoe »

seasiderecording wrote:I have been collaboration with songwriters and I would like advice on a contract to share earnings from either the songs or music sales. I usually prodice all music, playing most guitar, bass, and keyboard parts myself.
This is my basic framework.

My client pays a set fee or hourly rate for me to create the song. The client basically handles all expenses. I own a percentage of the creation and profits that come from sales, something between 10 and 20 %. I sometimes offer that payments to me don't begin until initial production costs are recovered by my client. Any sale or use of instrumental tracks is split 50/50. I would appreciate any comments or example contracts on this. Thanks in advance.

with the artists i work with- i actually will take a pub split in addition to a fee for production-(artist covers players) the fee is reduced for cash flow purposes with production buyouts on the back end- say $5K/track. If an artist can afford a $1500/song fee- than the balance is $3500 payable prior to release on major(i maintain ownership of masters)- its simpler than a production agreement- easily fundable and frees the artist to continue working with me or to move on to other producers once they are signed (most labels like to have input with respect to production- and do not want to deal with artist encumbered by production contracts). the added bene is that in the event the the project never see major distribution- you build a library of masters which can be reworked for new artists which provides additional security as you can regenerate cash flow.
MOTU user since 1988

Tree Roots 32 ch Console, StamChilds, Zenner, Pultecs, StaLevel, Neve racks, SSL, WesAudio & Stam racks, Burl Mothership, Barefoot MM27, AMS reverb, Mac Pro, UAD, Waves, Lexicon-