TUTORIAL: M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen Transport Controls with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

TUTORIAL: M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen Transport Controls with DP

Post by James Steele »

Note: If you have any problems, check the 2nd post in this thread. You may need to manually add the keyboard as a device in the Audio MIDI Setup first.

I'm trying to post a useful explanation for those that have purchased the M-Audio controllers on how to setup the transport buttons on these keyboards to work with Digital Performer. If you found this thread, you were probably like me and frustrated that you couldn't get to this to work correctly. Perhaps you got the transport buttons in DP to engage, but then couldn't release them.

Here's what to do.

First get the latest version on the Enigma software from M-Audio's web site. If you fill out their form you can download it free here:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=pro ... gma&form=1

Then choose the preset on the Axiom/Oxygen you wish to set up. In Enigma you'll see a picture of your keyboard. Start by clicking on the first button in the series of transport controls... the "Loop" button. In addition to the main Enigma window you will see an Editor Window. When you click on the "Loop" button change the values in the boxes so it looks like this:

I've put the comment "Loop" in the Comment field.

Now you're done with the Loop button. Click on the next button over, "Rewind," and change the values so it matches the figure like below:

Note that the MIDI CC value at the very top is always "146" to denote a MIDI CC Toggle. The only value that changes for each of the transport buttons is the MIDI CC value circled in red.

Now... repeat the process for the remaining transport buttons, entering the same values EXCEPT for the MIDI CC value which should be set as follows:

FAST FWD - Set MIDI CC to 22
STOP - Set MIDI CC to 23
PLAY - Set MIDI CC to 24
RECORD - Set MIDI CC to 25

You may also add a comment to each button describing the function if you wish.

When you're finished, increment the preset on your Axiom/Oxygen up and back down. For example if you have entered these changes in Preset 1, use the "+" key on the keyboard to change to Preset 2, then press the "-" key to change back to Preset 1. I have found that sometimes these changes won't "stick" until you do this.

Now switch to DP and open the Commands window using Shift + L. Under the category "MIDI Masters" verify that "Transport Master" is enabled. If not select it. It should look like this:

Once you've done that scoll down (or search on "transport") until you find the "Transport Commands" category. Find the row for "Play" and click in the MIDI Event Column. It should look something like this below. (Note I've already set my controls up... the boxes in this column may be blank when you do this the first time).

NOW PAY ATTENTION - This next little detail is CRITICAL!!

While the box is highlighted... press and HOLD DOWN the Play button on your Axiom/Oxygen transport. You should see the controller #24 and Value 127 as shown. DO NOT RELEASE THE BUTTON YET.

WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON, use your computer mouse to click outside of this square... the title bar of the Commands window works for this. It should now accept Controller 24, Value 127. (If you had released the button before clicking outside the value box, the value would have changed to 0, which would not work correctly.)

Repeat this for the rest of the applicable transport controls working your way down through Record, Stop, Rewind, and Fast Foward. Just click the appropriate box, hold down the correct transport button on your Axiom/Oxygen, then WHILE HOLDING THE BUTTON DOWN, click on the title bar of the Commands window.

When you get to the Loop button, I assign that to the "Memory On/Off" button which is further down the list than the others which is the same as turning your loop points on and off by using the "7" key on the numeric keypad.

Now if all has gone right, you should have full transport control of DP from your M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen keyboard. I'm using an Oxygen 49 and it's working great!! Cheers!
Last edited by James Steele on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I almost forgot. In the illustrations above of the DP's Commands window you can see that "Oxygen 49" appears as a choice for the source of the MIDI command. If you have problems making the above work, you may need to go into Audio MIDI Setup and create a device for the Axiom/Oxygen keyboard you are using and connect it as shown to the MIDI device that pops up automatically when detected on the USB port. I did this for Trigger Finger as well.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Thanks!
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

wow James, are you sure your not moonlighting for M-Audio?
Their user forum tech guy is really lacking to say the least!

Thank you sooo much !!

T
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tonio wrote:wow James, are you sure your not moonlighting for M-Audio?
Their user forum tech guy is really lacking to say the least!

Thank you sooo much !!

T
No problem... just keep in mind I'm not sure exactly where in the process setting up the "dummy" device in AMS (see my post #2 above) fits. You might want to do this first. I think it's a DP-specific issue that is needed with a lot of controller devices that connect directly via USB.

As for the M-Audio guy, you can't fault him too much. I think he doesn't deal with DP users so much as the M-Powered Pro Tools LE crowd, etc. Digital Performer is special software... we need special solutions! :D

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Thanks, James, this is huge! My Axiom 49 was working just fine... as long as I didn't touch any buttons or sliders... ':roll:' But I'd grown weary of using mouse transport on my Macbook. Thanks again for a great DP specific tutorial- it even helped me make more sense of Enigma.

I've run into a little problem, however. I programmed everything in enough to realize the stop/play etc. was actually working. But hitting FF led to a runaway train and DP freeze.

Also, I realized that since I'd activated the transport commands with the Master Master, keys that had been assigned to certain commands no longer played MIDI notes. When I tried to delete the MIDI note commands using the delete key, they defaulted back to the same note- seemingly 'unerasable'. I tried holding down the delete key while clicking in the commands window ala your tutorial but no dice. Opened the manual and read the commands section, but other than saying that the delete key deletes the command (no success for me), couldn't figure out how to zap the old commands.

So.... if someone knows the formula for deleting the old command keys, I'd be most appreciative! Then I can figure out the FF snafu....

Tobor

P.S. Need to update my sig. I'm using DP6/10.4.11, intel Macbook 2.16
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hi James,

Thanks for this, great stuff. I just bought a Roland PCR-800 and it was sending data to DP 6, but nothing was happening. I also tested one my other controllers (a Kurzweil PC 2x) and while it was also sending messages correctly to DP, the transport failed to respond.

I was wondering if there was another button in DP to toggle to allow MIDI commands to toggle the transport. There was!

Top of the commands window, you have to engage the MASTER MASTER as well as the TRANSPORT MASTER button. Otherwise, (at least with my Edirol controller) you're dead in the H2O.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mugtorte
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mugtorte »

wonderful! thanks james- it's been bugging me for at least a year now!
MIDI Life Crisis

Tobor wrote: When I tried to delete the MIDI note commands using the delete key, they defaulted back to the same note- seemingly 'unerasable'.
Same here. It would appear to be a DP 6 bug as it works to hit DELETE in DP 5.13 and the command instantly disappears.

Workaround might be to assign the unwanted commands to some phantom or unused controller - maybe an obscure control number? until MOTU fixes it.

Please report this as a techlink. I'll do the same right now.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

I noticed this too.
trying to lay down a track, the navigation system was wacko!! :shock:

Go back into transport navigation commands, and some MIDI notes are enabled. I switched the "MIDI event's" source to other than the controller (Axiom in my case) to IAC driver so the axiom would not trigger memory, punch in etc.

I couldn't get rid of the MIDI events. Maybe those event's need to be dumped in Enigma?

T
Last edited by Tonio on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Tonio wrote:I noticed this too.
trying to lay down a track, the navigation system was wacko!! :shock:

Go back into transport navigation commands, and some MIDI notes are enabled. I switched the "source" to other than the controller (Axiom in my case) to Interactive so the axiom would not trigger memory, punch in etc.
This drove me bonkers. Memory loops? I didn't want memory loops, I wants a freakin' F#! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Corrected the nomenclature of items and picy for ref's.

T
MIDI Life Crisis

BTW, there is "sort of" a fix. Import the COMMANDS into DP 5, delete the ones you don't want, save it and import it back into DP 6. The only one that persists is the CHUNCK SELECTION F#2. But that's better than all the mishigas being there.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think one thing you can do also is enter some bogus MIDI message instead of F#2 that you would never use, or perhaps the lowest note value possible.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tobor wrote:I programmed everything in enough to realize the stop/play etc. was actually working. But hitting FF led to a runaway train and DP freeze.
That's odd. I need to look into this, because it works fine on mine... however... it only fast forwards as I'm holding down the FF button on my Oxygen 49. Soon as I let up on it the FF stops.