Anybody worked with magnatune?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anybody worked with magnatune?

Post by SixStringGeek »

Wondering how they compare with others like TuneCore, CDBaby, etc.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
sschweyen

Post by sschweyen »

I submitted my album to Magnatune about 8 months ago, and received a response about 2 months later. They basically said they liked the album and would be delighted to add it to their distribution list. Being they only accept about 3 out of 100 submissions, I was pretty excited. But so far the whole thing has been in limbo. A few months ago I sent them an email to check in and see what the status was. They wrote me back saying it should be up very soon. That was the last I heard from them. So, not sure whats really going on at the moment with them.

They have a great distribution model and feature a selection of music mostly covering classical, new-age and electronic genres.

I have been using TuneCore for almost a year and don't have any complaints with them. Everything has worked out well. With TuneCore, you don't have to wait for someone to approve your album, which is cool, because you have a shot with the big boys.

If you submit your album to Magnatune, be prepared to wait at least a month or two to hear anything back. At least that's my experience. On their instructional description for "album submissions", they said not to call them and ask them about whether they liked it or not (or if they got to it). They will listen to it and let you know when they get around to it.

Being I'm not officially with Magnatune, cant say much more than that.
Just half to wait and see...
Dual G5 1.8 1.25 Gb RAM / DP 5.13 / Reason 4.01 / Recycle 2.5 / Logic Express 7, Logic 8, various soft synths n' stuff
billf

Post by billf »

sschweyen wrote:If you submit your album to Magnatune, be prepared to wait at least a month or two to hear anything back. At least that's my experience. On their instructional description for "album submissions", they said not to call them and ask them about whether they liked it or not (or if they got to it). They will listen to it and let you know when they get around to it.

That sounds almost as bad as dealing with a label.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1