snap crackle and pop

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

egelmett
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by egelmett »

I'm having a similar problem. Using it with Cubase 4, XP SP2, PC AMD 64 dual core, 2 gig ram.

I get no pops - it sounds like a CD skip - when playing realtime. When playing back from a MIDI clip however, pops on almost every single note.

However, this is only on my AMD computer, my main computer, with a Firepod.

And like you, no other VSTi exhibits this issue AND, it does not happen on my Core2 Intel laptop with a slower SATA drive and M-Audio Ozone interface.

Not good....day 2 and I'm probably out $250.
egelmett

Post by egelmett »

As a troubleshooting update...

This seems to be related to the Firepod and firewire, in my case. I realize others are using Protools and Macs, so the common denomiator seems to be MSI itself.

Even with streaming turned off, MSI will not playback from a MIDI clip without artifacts. I've tried different bit rates, sample rates, latency settings, and DAW tweaks like CPU priority, buffers, etc.

THE ONLY TIME THERE ARE NO ATIFACTS WHEN USING MSI WITH MY FIREPOD IS WHEN I CLICK THE MONO BUTTON.

But, that's not a suitable work around.

Like I wrote previously, I don't have any issues with my laptop and M-Audio Ozone.

So, I took the Ozone to the same PC with the Firepod, and guess what? No troubles.

MOTU will ask "are your drivers up-to-date?"

Yes - latest Firepod driver and firmware, and no updates on the Firewire chipset for my PC.

So, it would be a completely unrealistic and MOTU-centric statement to make that it's the PC's firewire chipset, or the Firepod's drivers/firmware to blame.

MOTU - you have problems with MSI and Firewire....figure it out. I can't return this POS, and your "specifications" and technotes make no mention of incompatibilities with firewire! :twisted:

If all other uses of this PC and interface are without issue, how can it not be MSI?
egelmett

Post by egelmett »

Exact same issue as Wombat.

Tried another Firewire card WITH a TI chipset. Still no dice.

Here's an audio sample of the issue: http://home.comcast.net/~gelmetti_md...pop_sample.mp3

Notice how the click is only at the beginning of the note.

If this were Firepod or ASIO related crackles, it would happen throughout the note.

I think we've all experienced what happens when latencies are too low for the PC, and this is certainly not that!

The question to ask is what is the difference between a DAW playing a MIDI clip (cause this happens on both Reaper and Cubase 4) into MSI versus when MSI is played realtime via a MIDI controller?

You'd think it would be more likely to happen while being played realtime as MSI has no idea when a note will be struck but with MIDI playback, the notes are queued, compensated for latency, and is generally a less resource intensive situation.

So what goes wrong on MIDI playback that poses no issues realtime?

One thing I noticed is that while not all VSTi 2.4 plugins state their latencies in Cubase's Plugin Info screen, MSI doesn't.

Could this be an issue with MSI not handling latencies properly?

When using my M-Audio Ozone USB interface on the same PC, I do not have an issue with MIDI playback.

Yeah, it's a vicious circle and there's no recourse. I can't return it now. And Presonus points the finger at MOTU and MOTU points the finger at Presonus. We're caught in the crossfire.

If I really wanted to donate $250, I would have given it to a non-profit. As it is, MSI is virtually useless to me since I cannot use it on my system.

Firewire is a goofy thing, and I've had issues with an M-Audio Projectmix where it would playback and route audio with no issue but would not process a firmware upgrade. That issue turned out to be an Asus motherboard simply did not like firewire and a different PC had no issues.

But, software is a layer above the hardware and if MSI talks to the hardware outside of the ASIO drivers, how the f*ck are we supposed to know the stars must align to make it all work?
egelmett

Something Positive!

Post by egelmett »

I just found that if I turn up the LFO depth, just a titch, it all goes away! No problems, no atifacts!

It's so little that there really is no modulation but it seems that MSI processes the MIDI playback differently with added modifications to the stock instrument.

There's something goofy about MSI.

Upon my first launch of MSI within Cubase 4, if apply touched the pitch wheel, there was a terrible glitching... a scratchiness that sounded awful. It was compounded by using the reverb.

However, I switched the sample rate from 44.1 to 48 and it went away. And, I have yet to experience it again.

Weird.

Well, if Combat Wombat is at all still using MSI, try the depth knob for the LFO. See if that cures it.
egelmett

Post by egelmett »

Bump...

Anybody?
patekswiss

Same problem here on a Mac Pro 3GHZ

Post by patekswiss »

I have a Mac Pro 3GHz and I'm using MSI with Ableton Live 7. I have 8 GB of memory and 8 cores. So plenty of memory, plenty of processor power. Live is showing that CPU load in the extremely low range (single digits). I've increased buffer size and I'm running multicore support on Live.

Just like someone else said, I get pops at the beginning of notes, and when you turn on reverb -- whew, forget it, playback slows to a crawl and its completely shot through with drop outs.

Its a shame, because I like the MSI sounds and I like the reverb too. I have 3 UAD PCIexpress cards in so I generally run all my effects away from the CPU, but I actually wanted to use the MSI reverb in this case!!!

I am using an Apogee Duet card. No problems with anything else on this system (you name it).