Electric Keys can't find samples

Moderator: James Steele

dculver
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Electric Keys can't find samples

Post by dculver »

Following the installation instructions (copy files FIRST, then install application), upon starting the program, the user interface pops up OK but the program can't "find" the samples. I have a "send and wait" in at MOTU tech support, but I am wondering if anyone else had this problem.
(MAC OS 10.4.11, 9 gig memory,2X2.66 dual core xeon)

thanks Lads-

rev
Dave Culver
CWoodONe

Re: Electric Keys can't find samples

Post by CWoodONe »

dculver wrote:Following the installation instructions (copy files FIRST, then install application), upon starting the program, the user interface pops up OK but the program can't "find" the samples. I have a "send and wait" in at MOTU tech support, but I am wondering if anyone else had this problem.
(MAC OS 10.4.11, 9 gig memory,2X2.66 dual core xeon)

thanks Lads-

rev

Same problem, Mac Pro, Leopard
DP 5.1, Ableton Live 6 Beta, Cubase, Absynth 3, BFD, Ivory, Cameleon, Tassman, Dimension Pro, Rapture, Kontakt 2, Minimoog V, Reason 3, Reaktor 5, Mac Pro, Trigger Finger, Axiom 25, Axiom 49
dculver

CWoodONe

Post by dculver »

CWoodONe-

I'll let you know what I find out.

Do you think it could be a South Jersey curse?
PATCO power line pollution?

Just wondering.....

Anyway, I'll let you know-

rev
Dave Culver
CWoodONe

Re: CWoodONe

Post by CWoodONe »

dculver wrote:CWoodONe-

Just wondering.....

rev
LOL it sure could be! But more likely a MOTU issue if we both have it...
nice to meet you
DP 5.1, Ableton Live 6 Beta, Cubase, Absynth 3, BFD, Ivory, Cameleon, Tassman, Dimension Pro, Rapture, Kontakt 2, Minimoog V, Reason 3, Reaktor 5, Mac Pro, Trigger Finger, Axiom 25, Axiom 49
CWoodONe

Post by CWoodONe »

CWoodONe wrote:

Just wondering.....

rev
LOL it sure could be! But more likely a MOTU issue if we both have it...
nice to meet you
Got it! The installation script doesn't do what it's supposed to. Here's a work around.

Install ILok software and ILock
Copy sample files to hard drive you want them
install software for EK
make aliases for the files
copy the alias files to this folder
/Library/Application Support/MOTU/ElectricKeys/Sounds
take off the "alias" at the end of the file names

Voila! EKeys works
Last edited by CWoodONe on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dculver

Good Grief!

Post by dculver »

CWoodONe-

HOW THE H*LL DID YOU FIGURE THAT OUT MY BROTHER?

Works like a champ~!

Thanks a boatload, and Go Flyers-

rev
Dave Culver
CWoodONe

Re: Good Grief!

Post by CWoodONe »

HOW THE H*LL DID YOU FIGURE THAT OUT MY BROTHER?

Works like a champ~!

Thanks a boatload, and Go Flyers-

rev
Great to have helped! I figured it out from watching Ableton Live 7 crash... lol. Nice to meet another guy from the neighborhood. What kind of music do you do? Using DP?
dculver

Post by dculver »

Thanks again.

Ya, using DP (since it was "Performer" on a Mac Plus !), but also use ProTools/Avid/Final Cut Pro a lot at work.

I am a professor at Drexel (Film & Video) and I am the GM of Drexel's TV Station (Cable in Center City, West,North, and part of South Philadelphia)

I do jingles and bg music for commercials I direct in my freelance business, as well as truly dreadful original dirty songs and covers of obscure one hit wonders of the 50s & 60's. I play many instruments badly.

So you?

rev
Dave Culver
CWoodONe

Post by CWoodONe »

dculver wrote:Thanks again.

Ya, using DP (since it was "Performer" on a Mac Plus !), but also use ProTools/Avid/Final Cut Pro a lot at work.

I am a professor at Drexel (Film & Video) and I am the GM of Drexel's TV Station (Cable in Center City, West,North, and part of South Philadelphia)

I do jingles and bg music for commercials I direct in my freelance business, as well as truly dreadful original dirty songs and covers of obscure one hit wonders of the 50s & 60's. I play many instruments badly.

So you?

rev

Sounds fun! I'm a database developer by day, and do music on the side - also playing in the tri-State area's finest Heart Tribute cover band, "Teal"...
dculver

Post by dculver »

Thats interesting!

I had a graduate student who graduated a few quarters back who is the biggest Heart fan not currently in prison. I'll bet she has seen you play!

rev
Dave Culver
CWoodONe

Post by CWoodONe »

dculver wrote:Thats interesting!

I had a graduate student who graduated a few quarters back who is the biggest Heart fan not currently in prison. I'll bet she has seen you play!

rev
Heart are a blast to play live! I arranged Barracuda for winds, brass,
stratocaster and minimoog

Toobacuda!

-- What do you think of EK so far? I like some of the oddball keyboards, but
I think Scarbee + Kontakt is better sounding and more powerful for the Fenders and Hohners. Love the cheesy organs and the Yamaha electronic pianos. The trons just don't compare to Mtron though.
dculver

Post by dculver »

You are spot on.

The MTRON is quite something...It's one of the best virtual instuments in terms of real world sound that I know of. EC falls short on that score.

But I do really like the EC farfeza (sp?)/Italian rips....the only thing wrong is that they are near perfect tune. Also, missing some 60 cycle (excuse my age) hum. I'll fix that.....

Haven't spent too much time with the B-3 or other patches yet. Liked the yamaha. the rhodes seems good enough, but also a bit too in tune. (I love those accidental beat frequencies in the old girls. That's part of the reason that each one had a soul, heart, and heat rash.

EK is worth it for me for the cheeseboards!!!!

rev

KE2OE

PS let me know when you are playing out in the area
Dave Culver
CWoodONe

Post by CWoodONe »

dculver wrote:You are spot on.

The MTRON is quite something...It's one of the best virtual instuments in terms of real world sound that I know of. EC falls short on that score.

But I do really like the EC farfeza (sp?)/Italian rips....the only thing wrong is that they are near perfect tune. Also, missing some 60 cycle (excuse my age) hum. I'll fix that.....

Haven't spent too much time with the B-3 or other patches yet. Liked the yamaha. the rhodes seems good enough, but also a bit too in tune. (I love those accidental beat frequencies in the old girls. That's part of the reason that each one had a soul, heart, and heat rash.

EK is worth it for me for the cheeseboards!!!!

LOL that's exactly why I got it also! And to try to get that
Robert Wyatt vibrato! I used to have a wonderful Farfisa combo organ with a spring reverb... some of those organs in there are hilarious... I'm hoping the sampler will let me extend the range of some of the instruments, that is just too "literal", just like the pitch is.
The cool thing about working sample libraries in Kontakt is that you can script controller wobble
and do some great stuff that doesn't seem to be possible in EK, unless maybe you're playing the samples from within Mach Five Two. But the sampling was done very well from what I've heard so far, and looking forward to getting deeper into it this weekend... the Rhodes sounded GREAT through Virsyn's Reflect plate reverbsl... haven't started to get too deep into the cheezy digital stuff, but my brief visit there has my wonder
wheels spinning...

Andy

rev

KE2OE

PS let me know when you are playing out in the area
studiotechni
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by studiotechni »

CWoodONe wrote:
Got it! The installation script doesn't do what it's supposed to. Here's a work around.

install software for EK

Voila! EKeys works
Ditto... same problem but same fix - well done! :)

st
CWoodONe

Post by CWoodONe »

studiotechni wrote:
CWoodONe wrote:

install software for EK

Voila! EKeys works
Ditto... same problem but same fix - well done! :)

st
Thanks - still haven't heard from MOTU on an "official fix" yet, but this seems to work fine.