young rockers

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
KarlSutton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

young rockers

Post by KarlSutton »

So I am working on this project for my friend, his kids have a band that I recorded & mixed. I'm not too familiar with this style of music & am trying to get the sound they are after.

I'd love any & all comments & suggestions on the mix.

Thanks!

http://cafesutton.com/lazar_lazar/without_you4_1_08.mp3
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Nice drums!

I only listened on my laptop - so I'm not hearing the extreme ends, but the first thing that came to mind (after 'nice drums') was that the guitars are a bit mid-heavy for my tastes. I find that somewhere right around 750-800Hz is the boxy/nasally/cheap sound on guitars. In my experience a good scoop there seems to help the guitars from building too much muck in those mids.

I'll give another listen when I get to the studio because I really didn't get much bass or kick drum (not surprisingly) on these speakers.
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

After listening through my HK Soundsticks, it seems that the bass, guitars, and bass drum are all fighting for a spot in the low mids. I would like to hear a little more presence in the vocals as well.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

thanks for the comments guys - I will look into. admittedly guitar tones are not not my specialty (being a keyboard player)

I put a 57 on one of the speakers & my TLM103 back in the room a bit.

so when you say competing for the low mids, do you think I should dial some of that out of 2 out of the 3 of them?

thanks
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

I would start by following sdemott's advice of scooping the guitars(hell, scoop everything), and I also like to high pass guitars usually around the 250-300Hz range with a 6-12db slope. Then, I would try high passing the bass(and maybe the drums too) around 60Hz, and maybe pull the bass drum down in the mix a little.

I have no professional qualifications as a mix engineer, this is just stuff that seems to help me get things sounding better.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100