Music is Not Appropriate

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Music is Not Appropriate

Post by cuttime »

This podcast disturbed me a lot. Having undergone recent bizarre deaths in my family, I tried to give it an open mind, but no matter what, I could not relate. I can't imagine any music that would fit these circumstances, not even Brahms' Requiem. If I had to listen to what the composer had to impose on these circumstances, I think I would be clawing the cable out of the walls and ripping the speakers out of the sheetrock. Nothing less than silence would suffice:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2008/01/29
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
philbrown

Re: Music is Not Appropriate

Post by philbrown »

We all react differently to death and process it in our own way and time, and each situation is unique: Was it tragic and unexpected, or long due relief from suffering? Some are comforted by family and friends, some by solitude, some by music and some by silence.

Peace
Phil
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Being Christian, we Sing and have music for EVERYTHING. So I do not believe music is not appropriate in these moments but on the contrary it's one of these moment where I would need it most.

To me death is about hope so I would try to be hopeful in my music. I'm not talking about "Let the sunshine in" But I would try to be a bit more about a cheering up intention.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Everything is relative to cultural traditions and norms, and also personal spirituality and preferences.

I remember how shocked I was the first time I heard a New Orleans funeral. How could they show such disrespect for the dead by going into such a jubilant swing after the dirge? But that's the point: mourn the death and then celebrate the living, as life itself is an endless cycle of death and rebirth.

I always try to accept things in the spirit in which they are presented or given. But having said that, there is nothing that strikes greater fear into my heart (as a musician) than being called upon to play at somebody's funeral -- yet I have played many weddings. I'm so afraid of not giving the departed their due honour by not performing as well as possible. Maybe because it is so "final", but also because of the head space of the mourners.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mhschmieder wrote: I'm so afraid of not giving the departed their due honour by not performing as well as possible. Maybe because it is so "final", but also because of the head space of the mourners.
I could never accept such a commission for this very reason. I think what bothered me so much about the "Salle Des Departs" music was that it was so cliche'd and pedestrian. Angels? Why not Enya, or any generic New Age stuff sold at any giftshop at an historic chapel/church anywhere? To compose music for this situation would be very presumptuous. May I add that this music was not intended to be a commemoration, which I heartily endorse, but rather an accompaniment to a shocking experience, meant somehow to provide ease when coming face to face with death.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

cuttime wrote:
mhschmieder wrote: I'm so afraid of not giving the departed their due honour by not performing as well as possible. Maybe because it is so "final", but also because of the head space of the mourners.
I could never accept such a commission for this very reason. I think what bothered me so much about the "Salle Des Departs" music was that it was so cliche'd and pedestrian. Angels? Why not Enya, or any generic New Age stuff sold at any giftshop at an historic chapel/church anywhere? To compose music for this situation would be very presumptuous. May I add that this music was not intended to be a commemoration, which I heartily endorse, but rather an accompaniment to a shocking experience, meant somehow to provide ease when coming face to face with death.
What the heck is wrong with trying to comfort people???? These people's intentions are honest, even if not to your artistic liking.
They don't do it your way or to your artistic taste -so what? That doesn't make it wrong. Or you wrong either. There's room enough for all reactions and responses. What could POSSIBLY be more personal than your reacting to a loved one's death? Why not let everyone express it however they choose? No one's being harmed here, why push against it so much? People get migraines over this stuff and it's not worth it. It's too big and wide a world to judge everyone's expression of emotion by your own experience IMHO. But your mileage may vary and that's OK.

with caring and no bad juju whatsoever

Phil
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

philbrown wrote: What the heck is wrong with trying to comfort people???? These people's intentions are honest, even if not to your artistic liking.
Point well taken, Phil, but I still think the idea of morgue Muzak is in bad taste. I hope someone can find comfort in it.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Put me down for "Playing sad music at remembrances is inappropriate."

People are sad enough as it is without piling on depressing dirges.

Celebrate the life and your love for the departed.

No reason to be sad unless you think one of you is going to HELL.

:twisted:
nickysnd

Post by nickysnd »

First, on the topic's title: my belief is that there IS appropriate music for everything. It's just not always easy for a composer to find it.

I think that commission was a great challenge, the hardest one to accomplish for any composer, IMHO. I personally would have felt crushed by such a responsibility, I think I would have denied it, and then I would have felt miserable for being unable to accomplish it. Death puts everything in the real perspective.

From the podcast I gather that that was meant to be a place for people who suddenly died, a better place than a hospital room for their loved ones to say goodbye to the departed. Such a place is a very generous idea. The dark blue color was a good idea too, IMHO. I think silence would have been too cold, so I like the idea of having music there. I think David Lang's piece is quite decent. However, I cannot think of a better piece, for that place, than Mozart's Lacrymosa.

My two cents.
Mac mini Apple M1 ♦ 8GB RAM ♦ MacOS 14.4.1 ♦ Focusrite Scarlett Solo ♦ DP 11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

nickysnd wrote:First, on the topic's title: my belief is that there IS appropriate music for everything. It's just not always easy for a composer to find it.
Thanks for the response nickysnd. I really did not intend to start this thread as a personal rant. Since this is a composer's forum, I threw the concept out as a thought experiment to see how others might react to such a commission. I personally could not, under these circumstances, think of any appropriate musical response. Perhaps this only underscores my weaknesses as a composer.
nickysnd

Post by nickysnd »

cuttime wrote:
nickysnd wrote:First, on the topic's title: my belief is that there IS appropriate music for everything. It's just not always easy for a composer to find it.
Thanks for the response nickysnd. I really did not intend to start this thread as a personal rant. Since this is a composer's forum, I threw the concept out as a thought experiment to see how others might react to such a commission. I personally could not, under these circumstances, think of any appropriate musical response. Perhaps this only underscores my weaknesses as a composer.
This is a deep and delicate subject, and I respect everyone's belief on the matter. I am sorry if my post did come across as somewhat confrontational, that was not my intention.

If you think that your belief "underscores your weaknesses as a composer", my belief, as I said, shows plainly what a miserable composer I am. To make it a bit clearer: If (as you believe) no music is appropriate for such a situation, that doesn't make you a "weak composer", IMO. But, if there IS appropriate music for such a situation (as I believe), and I am unable to find it, then I truly am a miserable composer. In the face of death, I am mute and paralyzed. And I admire those, like Mozart, who can rise their voice and sing in the face of death.

That composer, David Lang, said in that podcast something like: music can help us come to terms with our own grievance. I think there is some merit to that idea. The music is not for the dead, but for the living. The living should remember that death is part of life, and that the dead should be mourned, but life should go on. Silence cannot express that idea. Music can. IMHO.
Last edited by nickysnd on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac mini Apple M1 ♦ 8GB RAM ♦ MacOS 14.4.1 ♦ Focusrite Scarlett Solo ♦ DP 11.31