Help with printing old Composer files in Mosaic?

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
naxshark
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Help with printing old Composer files in Mosaic?

Post by naxshark »

I'm a VERY inexperienced Mosaic user, trying to print out files from my deceased church choir director. I cycled through all his Mosaic files okay, but I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to print his old Composer files in Mosaic. Help?

Thanks,
Carol
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by 1nput0utput »

What exactly is the problem you're having? I think you should be able to print simply from File menu > Print.
naxshark

Post by naxshark »

The "print" line in the drop-down menu is grey (nonselectable) when I open a Composer file in Mosaic. The Mosiac files I printed seemed to have a "conductor score" view that allowed printing, but the Composer files come in as "View-1" and won't allow printing. Is there an easy way to create the conductor score view? I have no manual, and MOTU couldn't help me out with that, so I've been relegated to guessing as I cobble through the program menus.
Nigel Keay

importing composer files to Mosaic

Post by Nigel Keay »

If I remember correctly, it was never possible to import page formatting from Composer to Mosaic, only the music on the staves which arrived in the "Galley View". To print a score you will need to add a new page view then go to the staves window, select all the staves and drag them into the new page view. You should then be able to print from that.
1nput0utput

Re: importing composer files to Mosaic

Post by 1nput0utput »

Nigel Keay wrote:If I remember correctly, it was never possible to import page formatting from Composer to Mosaic, only the music on the staves which arrived in the "Galley View". To print a score you will need to add a new page view then go to the staves window, select all the staves and drag them into the new page view. You should then be able to print from that.
Not bad for a first post. My knowledge of printing Mosaic ends at File > Print.
naxshark

it works!

Post by naxshark »

Thanks for the hint on how to create a printable page view -- this works great.

Might I also inquire how to insert the song title on each page? :D I don't see the same list of templates available for the Composer file as I see on one of the Mosaic files -- okay, let me be correct and say there are no templates in the Composer file. I was thinking I might need to apply a template to have the Title block show up (I can edit the title, but I don't see how to have it show up on the page view)...
Nigel Keay

titles and templates

Post by Nigel Keay »

If you use the main "Text" menu->edit->title, this will only appear on the page view if the page has one of the built-in templates applied to it. To do this, after creating a new page view, go to the mini-menu and select Page Layout Setup, then select the required template and OK. The same principle applies when adding pages, page 2 onwards select the "body page template" when adding pages. Text sizes etc. for the built-in templates can be edited by going to the main "Windows" menu->Templates then double-click on the template you want to edit. It's also possible to add other templates.

It's possible to put any text directly onto a page view by simply using Palettes->Text, then use the second tool down on the right - drag across the screen to create an area and start typing. In fact the letter "A" in the text palette refers to and is used to create rehearsal letters throughout the score. With any recurring text it's obviously better to use the first method as any change would only need to be done once.
naxshark

no templates listed in imported Composer file

Post by naxshark »

I tried the first method, and found no templates listed in the imported Composer file -- I opened up a true Mosaic file to compare, and it listed over 20 templates. I tried dragging templates from one templates window to the other with no luck. I could "add" a template for the Composer file, but it was just a blank page that I could not find a way to edit to add a title or even staves. Do you know of a way to bring in the defined template files from the Mosaic file so that I can apply them to the imported Composer file?
Nigel Keay

version of mosaic?

Post by Nigel Keay »

Which version of Mosaic are you using? The last version that came out was 1.5 which contained new things on templates and text. There was a 50 page booklet that came with it which I still have. One new feature was "Automated score and part generation from customized page templates when importing standard MIDI files" When you said "I can edit the title" I assumed you are are using 1.5, but better to be sure that we are not talking at cross-purposes.

When you add a new template it's normal to see a blank page. To insert text on the template just go to Palettes->Text, then use the second tool down on the right in the same way as one would put text on a page view.
DP10.13, OSX 10.13.6, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Dorico Pro 3.5, Sibelius 7.1.3, MOTU Mosaic 1.5, MOTU Traveler mk1.