Crackling audio? Try CoreAudio Aggregate Devices.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
croyal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Crackling audio? Try CoreAudio Aggregate Devices.

Post by croyal »

Thanks Sooshie and Qo.

I just moved up to the G5 and today started getting spikes and crackles only when auditioning soundbites in the editor. I have only one interface- but it is indeed from Apogee.

Needless to say- after creating Aggrigate device and reconfig of Audio Bundles- all works flawlessly- even with buffer at 128!!!.

Great detective work, you two!!!

Chris
Mac Studio Ultra/ 2013 Trashcan. DP10 and 11.
32 channels of Apogee Symphony MkII/ Dangerous 2Bus+.
Lots of Neve, API, and Dangerous outboard gear.
guitarbth
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by guitarbth »

I'm having the same problems. I have a Firewire Solo as well. I'm trying to use this trick but after I click on Audio Devices I see no Menu to choose aggregate devices. Where is it? Thanks.

Brandon
qo

Post by qo »

Originally posted by Croyal:
Needless to say- after creating Aggrigate device and reconfig of Audio Bundles- all works flawlessly- even with buffer at 128!!!.
Excellent Chris! I'm so happy this is working for others. After weeks and weeks of this problem, I'm still a bit paranoid about hearing a crackle but so far (knock, knock) it's all been golden.
Originally posted by azusa:
Wow!! This is the coolest trick of the year.
Great job qo.
Thanks for that azusa! Sometimes trying totally off-the-wall insane stuff works. Not often. Just often enough to keep trying :D :D All the other stuff I've tried that didn't work is too embarrassing to mention :eek:
qo

Post by qo »

Originally posted by guitarbth:
I'm having the same problems. I have a Firewire Solo as well. I'm trying to use this trick but after I click on Audio Devices I see no Menu to choose aggregate devices. Where is it? Thanks.
Hi Brandon,

It should be under the Audio menu in Audio/MIDI Setup's main menu bar (just to the right of the Apple menu). There's a keyboard shortcut for it: Shift+Apple+A

Let us know if that doesn't work, OK?
guitarbth

Post by guitarbth »

Still no luck. But I think I figured it out. I'm not using Tiger which I believe is when the Aggregate Device was introduced. Correct?

Thanks.

Brandon
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Still no luck. But I think I figured it out. I'm not using Tiger which I believe is when the Aggregate Device was introduced. Correct?

Thanks.

Brandon
Yes, Brandon. Unfortunately for some, this is a Tiger-only feature. I remembered that being a feature of Tiger, allowing multiple audio interfaces for all comers. That's how they did it; they created the aggregate device, which DAWs see as only one device. It's very interesting to me that Core Audio can see the interfaces, combine them, and present them to Digital Performer in a form that it is very happy with, when DP itself could not do that.

Such is technology. Thank goodness it keeps getting "better." Now you have one more reason to upgrade to Tiger.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Originally posted by qo:
After weeks and weeks of this problem, I'm still a bit paranoid about hearing a crackle...
Don't be. That article in Sound on Sound described this in great detail, and I am confident that we've found the Yellow Brick Road again. So, don't worry; be happy. We're off to see the wizard! (curse those flying monkeys!)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
guitarbth

Post by guitarbth »

Well, even though I don't have Tiger and cant use the aggregate device trick I was able to get rid of the distortion I was experiencing by removing an instrument track that I was playing along with....

Brandon
qo

Post by qo »

Well, even though I don't have Tiger and cant use the aggregate device trick I was able to get rid of the distortion I was experiencing by removing an instrument track that I was playing along with....
Hi Brandon,

Yes, one thing to note is that what we are discussing is a solution to a problem that is independent of CPU utilization. The crackles occur when CPU is almost idle.

In your case, it sounds like the CPU is the issue. You can display CPU usage using Studio->Audio Performance

I still get pops if I max out the CPU in DP using VI's. But, this is expected behavior and correlates exactly with the CPU meter maxing out.

EDIT: Corrected the menu item reference above now that I'm home :-)

<small>[ August 05, 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: qo ]</small>
thermos

Post by thermos »

Qo, you are a saint and a savior! You can really die happy given your contribution to the audio community at large. With my firefaces, the difference is huge. On a large session, I get way less dropouts, timing issues, just a lot less flinching in general. Great work!
qo

Post by qo »

Wow, thank you thermos! I think I now understand how Sally Fields felt at the Oscars when she said "You do love me!" :D (OK, I've just dated myself, heh).
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

Hi.

I used Aggregate Devices to solve the exact same click/pops as described by Qo and Shooshie. That was great.

However, I couldn't get a movie to play in DP while the Aggregate Device was the active device. As soon as I unselected the Aggregate Device and then did it the old way of selecting both devices, the problem went away.........bummer.....I started another thread with the movie problem before I realized what the "fix" was.......

Anyone else seeing this?

My interfaces are a Mobile IO and (2)x2408's.

Thanks.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Oh dear. For every solution for a given problem, there exists an opposite and equal problem along the same straight line. I hope that's fixable. I'm not working with a movie at the moment. Maybe someone else will tackle it. If it's a problem, we should report it to MOTU... er... after we convince them that there was a problem beforehand, and that qo solved it!

"Moof," said the dogcow.

Shooshie
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

I reported this crackling issue at NAMM....to a senior tech guy....he was very nice, but had never heard of the problem.

The problem didn't exist in 4.12 for me. It appeared in 4.5 and has been there ever since.

When I saw qo's post a couple weeks ago and finally upgraded to Tiger, VOILA! problem fixed. That was so great!

Then, I opened a move last night and then bang.....problems again...but this time different.....argh.....

I'm gonna call MOTU on Monday.....

Thanks.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
melodesiac420

Post by melodesiac420 »

Well... Looks like I'll be getting Tiger tomorrow. Notime bettter than now I guess. Thanks for your help qo.
I'm not really a smartass..... However....I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select last night.