video game trailer music

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
killerpineapple
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

video game trailer music

Post by killerpineapple »

I wrote my own score for this game trailer more or less to be used as a demo. I needed something that looks cool, fits my style, and (of course) something short. All done on DP. Yay! Please let me know what you think...

Video
just the music

And here is a trailer for a game that I'm actually working on. It was a combo effort though, I did the orchestral bits and my supervisor added the electronics and beats. I kind of like how it turned out. :)
Warrior Epic trailer

Compliments, constructive criticisms, and flaming trolls all welcome and much appreciated.
- Matt

G5 dual 2.7 GHz PPC, OSX 10.5, DP 5.13, MOTU 2408 mkII, PCI-X 424, MSI, Roland 2080, EWQLSO Platinum Pro, EWQLSC
RainMan7
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RainMan7 »

I just wanted to say that it looks very nice! The music is effective and the orchestration and flow of each piece is very cinematic. I really like the 'electronic meets orchestra' flavoured track.

I don't have any crits right now, but perhaps some will come up before long.

Cool.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

The music is great. Are there sound effects to go with the demo or just the music. The music alone leaves me wanting something more. Clashing of swords, thumps, etc. But as far as the music is concerned, I think you nailed it.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RainMan7

Post by RainMan7 »

Been listening to this trailer the last week or so. Initially I had thought the mix was a bit too 'hot'... but that is less of a factor for me now. The mix has quite a bit of energy and motion, probably due to the treble being where it is at, and I wouldn't recommend changing the mix, AT ALL. Did you utilize harmonic exciters for the mix?

Also, I am going to go ahead and disagree with Phil O. This is personal preference speaking, I believe the music is virtually PERFECT for what is happening on-screen. It is brash, high energy and exciting but I believe sound effects would ultimately compromise that sense of focus and cause imbalance.

You have a good thing going with the music KP. Very impressive!
killerpineapple

Post by killerpineapple »

Thanks for the feedback!

I actually feel some sound effects would really add a lot, but my sound effects skills are limited to more simplistic stuff. Not really looking for employment in the world of sound design. It's frakkin' hard. :P

Harmonic exciters? Wuzzat? My knowledge of plug-ins and effects is woefully diminished. Literally, all I do is a little bit of EQ, then use a limiter and pray it doesn't come out too distorted.
- Matt

G5 dual 2.7 GHz PPC, OSX 10.5, DP 5.13, MOTU 2408 mkII, PCI-X 424, MSI, Roland 2080, EWQLSO Platinum Pro, EWQLSC
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Yeah Man!!!
The "Rise Of The Argonauts" stab is VERY effective. I also do Video Games on DP and it's to meet a fellow "Musical Game worker":)
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
RainMan7

Post by RainMan7 »

killerpineapple wrote:Harmonic exciters? Wuzzat? My knowledge of plug-ins and effects is woefully diminished. Literally, all I do is a little bit of EQ, then use a limiter and pray it doesn't come out too distorted.
Here ya go. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exciter_(effect)

Also, your mixes seem to be at a really good volume. How do you get it to that volume without clipping taking place? JUST CURIOUS!

Anyways, good luck on your music. You are very talented, IMO.