Musicians Insurance??

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
matticus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Musicians Insurance??

Post by matticus »

What's up all my unicorn peeps! I play guitar in a band semi-professionally (gotta keep the day job to pay the bills) and have some nice guitars, amps, pedals, laptop with dp5, ultralite, etc...
I need to protect my investment so I just blindly did a google search for musicians insurance and came across lots of different companies. Does anybody out there have any wisdom on what company might be good as far as if they'll actually pay should my stuff get stolen? Any wisdom from experience would help. Thanks.
...real bits of panther, so you know it's good...
Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz
2Gb Ram
MOTU Ultralite
DP5.13
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

pinknoise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

:arrow:

Post by pinknoise »

I've worked in insurance, try getting quotes from established insurers (companies). I'd suggest calling State Farm because I know their practices, they've been around for a long time. Part of frustration is not knowing what IS covered and what is NOT. So get a clear explanation from the agent. Sounds like you might need what's called a Personal Articles Policy - it has low or almost no deductible and covers such things as you mentioned. Details might differ from one insurer to another. HTH :)
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The State Farm policy referenced is excellent (it's what I have) but you MUST add the Professional Use endorsement if you make money with your gear... otherwise the policy won't apply!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

I'd stick with the companies that know music:

http://www.musicproinsurance.com/

http://www.clarionins.com/

MusicPro is endorsed by ASCAP. I've been with Clarion since 1994 and have no complaints (though also no major claims...) Check them out.
davel6332

Post by davel6332 »

I'd echo Kubi's sentiments and go with a company that deals with musicians. I've had my car(s) insured with State Farm for almost 30 yrs and would definitely not.....let me say that even stronger..... DEFINITELY NOT even consider insuring my gear with them. If you consider going with a non musician savvy company, make sure your communication with them is impeccable in every detail. As HCMarkus said, you have to be totally upfront about using your gear to make money, and about where AND WHEN you perform. If you're a member of the musician's union (AFM), they offer access to a group plan for replacement cost instrument insurance. It's administered by Marsh, Seabury and Smith. I've had this insurance myself for about 10 years, and I'd highly recommend it. It's an all inclusive replacement cost policy, and covers your gear anywhere, any time, for anything. I've had dealings with this company several times, and I've turned in clams with them. I've never seen an insurance company so easy to deal with and more interested in dealing fairly with their customers. They will go out of their way to take care of you. If I wasn't a member of the musician's union, I'd join just to have this insurance. It's that good......and no I don't for this insurance company..... :D
dougieb

Post by dougieb »

If you form a corporation or better - form an LLC for your group, you can usually get a, a group rate - or b, probably join your local Chamber of Commerce and get a special rate through whatever insurance company they are associated with.

There are also some tax advantages still I believe to paying your insurance out of the entity vs. individually.