Garritan Instruments working in Leopard!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Garritan Instruments working in Leopard!

Post by Shooshie »

First of all, it's all working. I bought Four Garritan packages before Christmas during the Garritan Go-Round sale, and they all installed and are playing in Leopard. The Stradivari Solo Violin and the Gofriller Solo Cello both worked right off the bat. The Garritan Personal Orchestra and the Garritan Big Band required some updating. All the updaters needed were online, and appeared in the Native Instruments "Service Center" application on cue. After the installs, updates, and authorizations, everything worked as advertised. I'm using Leopard 10.5.1 on an Intel Mac Pro 2.66 GHz tower. And it all sounds Fantastic!

Garritan uses a whole different approach for the cello and solo violin, but they are amazing, almost like magic. Beautiful sounds. Simply beautiful. The Garritan Personal Orchestra is more straight-ahead sampling, but it is very well done, and plays extremely nicely. The jazz band has some wonderfully useful instruments. I was blown away by the contrabass sax!

So far, I've been able to use the WX-5 on all the instruments. I'm still learning the ropes, so I don't know if the WX-5 will handle all the parameters, but I like the ones it's doing so far. The main thing is that everything is working on my Mac Pro with Leopard -- I was expecting to have to wait for months while Native Instruments updated the Kontakt2 Player. Not so. It appears to already be updated, once you download it through the "Service Center" app.

I'm a very happy musician right now. I've got a roster of extremely expressive instruments, and I could not ask for more. (well... I COULD ask for more, but I'm quite satisfied with what I have for now. These will keep me busy for a long time)

Kudos to Garritan for making such useful libraries that play so beautifully.

Shooshie

PS: if you saw my footswitch/expression pedal thread from the past week, you'll know that I bought the Roland FC-300 to help play these instruments. I'm sure glad I have it! It's actually well-suited for this.
Last edited by Shooshie on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

This is great news to hear, Shooshie-- for a whole lot of reasons. Bravo to you and Garritan.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Frodo

Re: Garritan Instruments working in Leopard!

Post by Frodo »

Shooshie wrote:...The main thing is that everything is working on my Mac Pro with Leopard -- I was expecting to have to wait for months while Native Instruments updated the Kontakt2 Player. Not so. It appears to already be updated, once you download it through the "Service Center" app.
I think Garritan may be among the very few lucky ones receiving the update-- and in Leopard, you say?

Wow.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good to hear -- I installed the cello and violin last night but didn't have time to use them yet, other than for just some quick testing out, which even with just a few minor tweaks in the interface let me know that these are going to be eminently playable plug-ins that easily result in usable/musical results.

Knowing that the Garritan VI's work in Leopard whittles down my list further. I think one of the last remaining bottlenecks for a confident Intel Mac purchase is the East/West Play-based libraries.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Frodo wrote:This is great news to hear, Shooshie-- for a whole lot of reasons. Bravo to you and Garritan.
I'll post some mp3's as I get the chance. This is a paradigm shift, as far as I'm concerned, and is every bit the match of Wallander. (I'm talking about the Strad violin and the Gofriller Cello) I've seen no VI of this caliber. Ever.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
richardein

Post by richardein »

Shoosie,

Agreed. The Strad violin is excellent (don't have the cello). It takes a while to learn to play it, but it sounds excellent.
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by azusa749a »

Sooshie, what is the version of Kontakt player that comes with the Strad?

I'm still on 10.4.11, but soon will be on Leopard.
I have the Strad 2.03 and Kontakt player 2.2.3 (stand alone), and 2.20 for the AU (I don't know why they're different.)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

azusa749a wrote:Sooshie, what is the version of Kontakt player that comes with the Strad?

I have the Strad 2.03 and Kontakt player 2.2.3 (stand alone), and 2.20 for the AU (I don't know why they're different.)
Version 2.2.4
azusa749a

Post by azusa749a »

Thanks.
jmlmbt

Post by jmlmbt »

Shooshie:

Thanks for that info and the Countoff Beats lesson.

I was thinking of investing in the EWSO but am put off by the Play issue for Mac Pros. I can't get a straight answer as to when the intel supported version is coming out. So, after reading your Garritan post I'm now interested in that. Have you or anyone else had experience with Garritan's Per. Orchestra and/other Garr. libraries? Would you recommend them over EW?

Thanks!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have the GPO, but I can't compare it to EWSO, as I don't have the latter. Compared to MSI it's a much better rompler. I think the instruments play better and sound better, but then MSI is pretty iffy. Some things in MSI are ok, and others aren't. I'm glad to have both. GPO has no classical guitar, which may not be important to some, but I need it sometimes. Fortunately, MSI does.

The winds are pretty good. Nothing is on the quality level of, say, Garritan's Gofriller Cello or Stradivari Solo Violin, but they're very solid and competent sounds. With care, you could do a very convincing orchestral arrangement in GPO.

I'm working on a sextet that is mostly GPO. I'll post a link when I'm done. Let me say this much, though: all sampled sounds depend more on the performer than on the sound itself. The best sounds on earth won't do much for the lousiest performer/arranger, while the best performer on earth can probably make a masterpiece of the worst sounds. That's the law of the land, more or less, so if you consider yourself competent at this stuff, I think you'll be able to do an ok job with pretty much any library you get. Some just make us work harder than others, that's all. Of course... then there ARE those libraries which are amazing; like the above-mentioned strad and cello.

Shooshie
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:
azusa749a wrote:Sooshie, what is the version of Kontakt player that comes with the Strad?

Version 2.2.4
Please forgive my ignorance, but am I to understand that Kontakt player comes with the Garritan packages? I've been thinking of getting GPO, but I don't have Kontakt. I don't need both?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
jmlmbt

Post by jmlmbt »

Thanks so much for the information. I'm doing my research and I may end up just sticking with my very good hardware (Fantom XR is the main device). There's a lot to be said for "if it aint broke....."
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I guess you know about Garritan's new standalone player that will allow for more customised interfaces based on instrument type, but I don't think they have yet announced whether and/or when their existing Kontakt libraries will be ported.

So far an enticing new Organ collection is announced in this format (covering seven different pipe organs) and an upcoming Advanced Orchestra that I think is probably derived from some of the techniques employed in the Cello and Violin libraries being talked about here.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Phil O wrote:
Shooshie wrote:

Version 2.2.4
Please forgive my ignorance, but am I to understand that Kontakt player comes with the Garritan packages? I've been thinking of getting GPO, but I don't have Kontakt. I don't need both?

Phil
Phil, Garritan's packages come with everything you need. I installed the player from the DVD, and immediately it asked me to update the player, so I just did what it told me to do, and in a few minutes it was all done.

Shooshie