Homestudio

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
dkalna
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Homestudio

Post by dkalna »

Hi there,

I would like to setup my new homestudio. MOTU 8282mkII should be at heart of it. Could you please review following images and let me know, if I my imagination went too far, or is everyrthing as it should be?

Thanks a lot
Dalibor
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dwetmaster »

Everything seems to be workable. My only advice would be for you to get a MIDI interface instead of sending your MIDI signal thru everything. You can get a MIDI express for not too much...

My two cents
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
dkalna

Post by dkalna »

Thanks Dwetmaster for your post,
anyway, why would you do that? Because of speed or MIDI channels?
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

simplicity, that's the reason.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

BradLyons wrote:simplicity, that's the reason.
Yeah, that way, you can route everything separately to the computer and, with the proper driver files, control your devices easily from your Computer.
You can make dedicated automation MIDI track in your sequencer and assign these tracks to the right device without worrying about another one getting screwed up by undesired MIDI information.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If the Yamaha MO6 has USB like the Motif, use USB for your MIDI to and from the Yamaha, then use the MO6 MIDI out to drive your FX. You never need more than one MIDI channel for an FX box, so daisy chaining is just fine unless you have more than 16 devices. Properly set up in Audio>MIDI Set up, things work great!

One thing to watch for when using Yamaha USB is ground loops. I had to make a special USB cable by cutting the shield and ground conductor mid-cable to silence my setup. Here's my post on the subject:
Had a nasty buzz. No drugs involved. Dim the lights, set the mood, there's that buzz again. What's up?

I've always noticed my Motif ES is sensitive to grounding. Tried all the usual things: Plugging all devices from one outlet, cutting ground wires on audio connections, even lifting the ground on the Motif and other devices' AC. But still, a subtle ungood buzz remained, robbing delicate mix moments of transparency.

Turns out that a potential exsts between my MOTU 828mkII Firewire ground and the Motif ES USB ground. Fixing it was simple: cut and pull back the plastic sheath on the Motif USB cable, remove a short section of shield and cut the black (USB gound) wire, one of four within the USB cable. Viola! Dead Quiet.

I mention this as an FYI, something to file in the back of the mind. The black wire in a properly-wired USB cable carries the ground, and can be removed as long as there is an alternate path to ground, like through an audio cable or AC grounding. Now, I am going to re-mix the tune I am working on, free from inharmonious grunge. I'm feeling good, riding a no-buzz high!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
dkalna

Post by dkalna »

Great, thanks guys for your opinion. Now, the last question is: is it really so, that CueMix can route everything everywhere? So I can send any input/output to compressor/effect? What about outs/buses from Cubase?
INSUB
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by INSUB »

CueMix can route 4 buses to whichever outs you desire.
Cubase can also has multiple assignable buses. Or you can create group channels, assign any tracks to them, and assign the group track to any output.
MOTU 828mkII, MOTU 8PRE, Cubase Elements 7, Win7 64bit, Yamaha Motif ES8, Virus TI, Casio Privia PX-350M.