Checking in Mono

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jeb jerome
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Checking in Mono

Post by jeb jerome »

If I buss the master out or all my channels to a mono buss would that allow me to check mixes in mono as consoles and certain monitoring management hardware allow? Or would that really not quite be what I'm looking for?

I want to easily be able to check for phase issues, mix sound, etc. in mono easily and ideally, cheaply.

Would sending everything to one analog out of an 828 then to speakers be correct for mono checking?

Other ideas?

Thanks!
gearboy

Re: Checking in Mono

Post by gearboy »

There is a Mono setting on the pulldown menu of the Master Track in DP that will easily enable you to preview your mix in mono. I usually Mix in mono and to check to see how everything sits (Eq and Pan) and then switch to stereo.

If you pick up a copy of Izotope's Ozone3 there's a great spectrum analyzer built in that helps view mono compatability as well.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
gtrnstuff

Post by gtrnstuff »

On the master fader there is tab called "fold down". Default is none, select "mono". Just that easy.
Mac Mini 3 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i7
16G RAM
DP 11
OS 12.6.3
Apogee Rosetta toslink to 828x, USB to computer
jeb jerome

Post by jeb jerome »

Sweet. It's the simple things I most often miss. Thank you!