East west gold pro XP

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

East west gold pro XP

Post by dosuna11 »

Which one of the string sounds in East west gold pro XP realizes that smooth silky string sound?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Hmm-- smooth and silky. That could be one of several.

The Butter Legatos are nice as are the Lyr patches, but maybe you mean the Sord string patches (muted strings)?

Does non-vibrato qualify for "smooth"?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Frodo wrote:Hmm-- smooth and silky. That could be one of several.

The Butter Legatos are nice as are the Lyr patches, but maybe you mean the Sord string patches (muted strings)?

Does non-vibrato qualify for "smooth"?
Yes non-vibrato does qualify. On the large string sections the I haven't been able to get the vibratos to get that natural chorusing effect of live strings. That's what silky is. In the old days I would add 15% synth strings to mask the loops on long legato phrases. Where is Rimsky Korsakoff when I need him? There is a big curve in just setting up the players to present a palette to work with. Thanks
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I'll have to play around with the samples again. There are some very nice non-vibrato patches in quite a few of the samples.

Yes, any of these libraries can indeed benefit from layering parts from a different pool of samples-- EW mixed with Miroslav or VSL or some other string set. A single developer will often err on the side of safety where phasing might be at risk. The downside can result in a certain stagnant quality even with the best collections.

Sometimes I'll blend layers more or less evenly. At other times, I'll put the cleaner string samples more in front and then tuck "puffier" ones behind them-- depends on the track, I guess.

Oh Rimsky-- where art thou? :P
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

I plugged in the butter strings Vio2 8vaVio1 Vio and Cello. There is stiil little vib but it is much better. I am thinking about spending the $ and getting the upgrade to Plat pro XP. Do you like the close mic samples?
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I like them a lot, to be honest. There are few differences in the samples between Gold XP and Plat XP-- maybe some patch configs and, of course, the mic positions...

But as far as "that sound" you're looking for goes-- was it that you'd already heard it in EWQLSO or is that you are wondering if "that sound" could be found in EWQLSO?

Experimenting with layering samples might be worth a try if no single patch does it for you.

But I don't think that you're going to find "extra" string sounds, per se, in Plat XP than are already there in Gold XP.

If you haven't seen the version comparison chart, check it out. You'll find only minor differences between Gold XP and Plat XP strings:

http://www.soundsonline.com/static/down ... arison.pdf

I wouldn't discourage you from jumping in on the sale for other reasons, though. It's really the only way to collect VIs.