Writing mockup Chord Charts -DP Noob

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Jamesdbarr
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Writing mockup Chord Charts -DP Noob

Post by Jamesdbarr »

Hi everyone,
I have recently moved over to a; Macbook Pro and b; DP5.12
I am using DP for live playback of our MIDI backingtracks for our band, loving it so far, especially the solid playback and sequences chunks for playlists.
My question is;
I am trying to find the quickest and best way to write up some chord charts for other band members/ session musos I bring in within different line ups. I have done this on Logic on PC til now.
I havent found any tips or hints from users or especially in the manual for an easy way to do this.
Can it be done like Logic, for example, in an area that also gives you the facility when you tranpose the staff, it transposes the chords as well. Different singers sing in different keys -so this transposing is handy. I also use scoring for brass players too..
Any hints on simple input of chords - example, will it rcognise keyboard recognition of played chord then step input on quarter notes or whatever resolution you decide to setup.

It would be great if DP can do this as I can still use the same files for everything, would save a lot of double handling especially if something needs to change in the orginal performance song, or do I have to use some other software to accompish this.

As a foot note, I have found the section listed for hints and tips sheet as invaluable for a noob such as myself. A couple have saved me many hours of tedious work converting my songs into the DP format....
This chord chart question is one that if it is achievable should be made avail in a similar thread for scoring.....
Thanks in advance
James
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dwetmaster »

Quickscribe does NOT do chords.

What I suggest is:
Create a text line over your staff that is the same length as the staff.
Input your chords using the spacebar for alignment.

The result is neat but it's a PITA as you can't readjust your measure per staff or your staff per page without having to edit everything.

I love DP but quickscribe is FAR from being up to the task IMHO
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

Yeah, I wish we could have an easy way to put marker-chords.
In lieu of that, what I do is just devote one track for chord entry. I can see the notes on the score, so it works as good as chord symbols. I enter them in the intended position at the time of the change, and you can always hide it or show it. And it will always stretch according to your score, and it will transpose correctly if you need to.

Not an elegant solution, but it works
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman