Radiohead says 62% figure is crap

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Resonant Alien
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Radiohead says 62% figure is crap

Post by Resonant Alien »

Just as I suspected......you can't believe everything you read, and statistics can be made to say whatever the author wants....

From a post at Gearslutz:

[quote]radiohead denies those numbers :

••œIn response to purely speculative figures announced in the press regarding the number of downloads and the price paid for the album, the group••™s representatives would like to remind people that••¦ it is impossible for outside organisations to have accurate figures on sales.

However, they can confirm that the figures quoted by the company comScore Inc are wholly inaccurate and in no way reflect definitive market intelligence or, indeed, the true success of the project.••
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Well that's cool. I know I was the one who posted the story that ran in the Associated Press. I'd like to hear what the actual figures are but they're not saying. I'm sure they have some good reasons why. They don't say or imply if the actually numbers were *better* do they?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Resonant Alien

Post by Resonant Alien »

James Steele wrote:Well that's cool. I know I was the one who posted the story that ran in the Associated Press. I'd like to hear what the actual figures are but they're not saying. I'm sure they have some good reasons why. They don't say or imply if the actually numbers were *better* do they?
Yeah, true. They didn't say anything about the real numbers, just that the ones published were not accurate. Guess I was in a glass-half-full state of mind, assuming that it was better than stated.

I did start to wonder about the scientific rigor of this company's surveying methods.....they only used "a few hundred" people in the survey, and those few hundred people were only people that had signed up on this company's website....that hardly seems like a survey that represents a widespread view of the general public at large.

[edited out my own stupidity. :oops: ]
Last edited by Resonant Alien on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Resonant Alien wrote: But.......if the "others outside the US" were in the UK or Europe, that $4.50 USD translates into about 7 Euro or about 9 Pounds....both are reasonable payments in the country's actual currency....misleading to say the least.
Oh boy, don't we all wish you were right. But $4.50 is about 3 Euros, or 2.25 pounds. The dollar is very weak right now...
Resonant Alien

Post by Resonant Alien »

Kubi wrote:
Resonant Alien wrote: But.......if the "others outside the US" were in the UK or Europe, that $4.50 USD translates into about 7 Euro or about 9 Pounds....both are reasonable payments in the country's actual currency....misleading to say the least.
Oh boy, don't we all wish you were right. But $4.50 is about 3 Euros, or 2.25 pounds. The dollar is very weak right now...
DUH. Sorry - not enough coffee when I posted that......... :oops: :oops: Did the math backwards.....hoo hee back to bed.......
OldTimey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by OldTimey »

i was surprised when i read james' post. i had heard on a podcast devoted to independent music that more people had paid than had not paid. but that may have been only taking the first two weeks of it's availability into account. or it might have been BS.