Did Radiohead change the record business forever?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
stickwolf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stickwolf »

James Steele wrote:Dude... I understand where you're coming from. But if it's something I want to read enough, I get on Amazon.com and have it delivered to my house. I don't get in my car, drive to a branch to pick it up, then drive back to return it. To each their own.
Well, I only walk or bike to the library and get exercise and sometimes quality time with the wife. That's not a pain in the ass, it's a great use of my time.

I don't know how you determine just from Amazon whether something is really worth the expense or not. As a guitar teacher, I've been frustrated at the bad method books out there and I'm hesitant to invest my time in writing my own when something good might exist. So far, I've evaluated - really played through - about 60 methods from libraries, and I bought copies of a couple I liked. No way would I have ordered all 60 from Amazon.com and some of the really good ones I wouldn't even have considered ordering because they didn't seem particularly special and had no reviews.

Maybe for your purposes you don't care really.

I'll shut up about it, but just don't go around saying that the library isn't worth it and is a hassle when you don't even know at all.

And anyway, the real point is that if you aren't going to abolish libraries, they will keep getting more and more efficient, and they actually ARE a threat to the traditional mass market publishing model for CDs or DVDs or books. I think the conflict between that economic model and that of libraries PROVES that the traditional model is what's flawed, not the music-listening public. So let's come up with a better economic model instead of defending the inadequate old one.

Well, I've made my points. Some people think more socially-oriented than others. Who am I to say what is right or wrong? If anyone else prefers to sit around complaining about fans' cheapness rather than question the traditional views of marketing and copyright to find real solutions... well, so be it. If I somehow find any real solution, I'll let you all know. I'll keep thinking open-mindedly about it, and talk to others who might have useful ideas.

Peace,
Aaron
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Look... do you LIVE in San Diego? No. Neither do I. I'm in Lemon Grove outside of San Diego. But when I lived in San Diego, I could find nothing... let me repeat NOTHING at most libraries that I wanted to find. How do I find out if I want to buy something on Amazon? I read reviews... I talk to people... I have it recommended to me. I'm glad you want to hop on a bike and go to your library. It's not close enough for me to do that.

I don't know how we got off course. Great... you think public libraries are wonderful. My experience has been they're a hassle... understaffed and understocked. At least in my neck of the woods.

But the original point I was trying to make was that if books were as easy to duplicate and spread over the net, book publishers would be in trouble. Their "easy" accessibility at the public library isn't going to put any kind of dent in their book sales. I tend to look for non-fiction and music technology stuff among other things and I'm telling you, if I *want* something, I'll pay $10-20 and have it on my doorstep tomorrow to get it as soon as I want it, and have it as long as I want it.

Is that okay with you?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stickwolf wrote:If anyone else prefers to sit around complaining about fans' cheapness rather than question the traditional views of marketing and copyright to find real solutions... well, so be it. If I somehow find any real solution, I'll let you all know.
Whatever the solution it will be market driven and none of us know for sure. My "complaint" is an observation about human nature... that's all. I just think "giving away" downloads is gamble. Given the file sharing situation and the rampant violation of software and music copyrights that is routine with so many people, you have to wonder what will happen. Too bad Passport couldn't do live gigs... "Alchemy" might not have died.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

James Steele wrote:
Whatever the solution it will be market driven and none of us know for sure. My "complaint" is an observation about human nature... that's all. I just think "giving away" downloads is gamble. Given the file sharing situation and the rampant violation of software and music copyrights that is routine with so many people, you have to wonder what will happen. Too bad Passport couldn't do live gigs... "Alchemy" might not have died.
Do you mean Passport, the original makers of Encore notation software? Or something else... sorry for my apparent brain-fart here.

Well, anyway, market driven? Maybe the market will drive music back to mostly being a hobby and not a viable career... do you consider things like art grants to exist within your market driven world, or the old patronage system? Are you using market to mean everything included in the observable flow of economic capital, or do you mean just the capitalist view of product - consumer? Because clearly other economic models than consumerism clearly have and do exist, and play a large part in the economics of something like music...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh for Pete's sake. I said what I meant. Figure it out... I'm not going to keep talking in circles here.

janglyrecords

Post by janglyrecords »

Not a performance? According to who.....
DP 5; UAD-1; Waves Gold plus Renn; Ozone 3; Bias Peak LE; Mac PPC Dual Core 2GHz; Glyph drives for storage; USB and Firewire hub by imogear. Hardware - Ward Beck console with 8 pres/EQs; Manley Dual Mono; Langevin Mini-Massive; Safe Sound P-1; UREI/JBL 6 ch. pres, Drawmer 1968; dbx 160x (2); ART VLA PRO; Manley Tube DI; Apogee Rosetta 800 and PSX-100; MOTU Traveler; etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stickwolf wrote:...do you consider things like art grants to exist within your market driven world?
I think private grants are hunky dory. However, as far as government art grants, I can't answer that without starting a political debate and that's taboo on this board. That would involved discussing our views on the appropriate responsibilities and duty of government in our society.

stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

James Steele wrote:
stickwolf wrote:...do you consider things like art grants to exist within your market driven world?
I think private grants are hunky dory. However, as far as government art grants, I can't answer that without starting a political debate and that's taboo on this board. That would involved discussing our views on the appropriate responsibilities and duty of government in our society.
Fair enough. I guess these political issues are inevitable when trying to actually tackle issues of economics and music industry. I respect your board policy, so I'll leave it at that.

Peace,
Aaron