Court finds for WB against Jammie Thomas for downloading

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Court finds for WB against Jammie Thomas for downloading

Post by Timeline »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7029229.stm
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provid ... ID=7585979

This is older news but I have a twist about this.

I think Warners cut a deal with her and offered to pay all her expenses, plus a little, to continue with the case so they could get the decision on the books in their favor.

It just makes sense.

Now that it's law and there is prior judgment precedence on this it will be very easy to bust illegal downloaders.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Pound

Post by Pound »

How can they get the money if she doesn't have it? What do they do?
Macbook Pro
OS X 10.4.11
DP 5.12
Motu Ultralite
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I would say the just don't go after it like a closed agreement. After a judgment you don't have to collect if you don't want to.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Pound wrote:How can they get the money if she doesn't have it? What do they do?
That's what's interesting to me about these suits. Every lawyer knows you can't get blood from a turnip, so most suits don't proceed without an expectation of a windfall. So, this suggests they're trying to scare the crap out of illegal file-sharers. The PR value of a successful suit is their payday. They might never see the total award, but they can sure make life miserable for modest-living people who lose these suits by garnishment of their future wages. This is a matter where "It's the principal of the thing" is truly at play.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Yep Jim and also the fact that if a few of these cases come around their way they just might be able to drop DRM. I'll bet Jobs at Apple was happy to see the legal decision too because he's tired of being the police dog. They just want to sell boxes.

Labels don't want to put kids in the poorhouse they just want to collect for their artists. It gives them a bad name but if they just do one or two big case like this one, eventually, people will forget.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thanks for posting this, Gary; I was tempted to do so a few days ago, so I'm glad you did.
FWIW, I agree with both of you. :D

Many anti-piracy 'Cornies will be happy to hear this, I'm sure.
James? Fernando? Magilla? :lol:
Last edited by monkey man on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm on the fence on this one. I personally refuse to download music, and get into a lot of trouble with friends for having "hang-ups" when I criticise them for doing it, but I also am aware the record companies cheat their clients and don't pay royalties in many cases. So I'm not sure this is a victory for artists. But I suppose at least it doesn't hurt artists. I just don't know.

My own band is obviously small fry, but we've had thousandds of illegal downloads of our music. Especially in Viet Nam, Russia, and Philippines. We were upset at first, but then decided not to fight it, because as a small-time act at least "any publicity is good publicity".

With that in mind, it greys things a bit, in that maybe illegal downloading helps smaller artists but hurts larger artists? In no way is it ever justified because it is stealing and stealing is always wrong (except in totalitarian societies that deny their own people food). But the punishment should fit the crime too, so surely this is meant to be a symbolic act, as suggested?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Nice reply. I guess we'll see how the major labels handle themselves before we figure out how that pig is roasted. :)
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm in the dark on all this stuff. Perhaps someone could bring me up to speed. Didn't Napster get busted? After that, a whole slew of others rushed in to take it's place. Why didn't they get busted as well? I thought the whole point-to-point sharing thing was found to be illegal? Wadid I miss?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Agreed Phil; the Napster thing seemed to achieve little.
I'd like to know what I've missed too.
Valid questions indeed...

'Cornies? Magilla "sue 'em" Gorilla?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Napster went legit is what happened: http://free.napster.com/terms/

AFAICT, they just became a paid alternative to iTunes, and this was due to RIAA lawsuits.

Pound

Post by Pound »

Macbook Pro
OS X 10.4.11
DP 5.12
Motu Ultralite
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

monkey man wrote:Thanks for posting this, Gary; I was tempted to do so a few days ago, so I'm glad you did.
FWIW, I agree with both of you. :D

Many anti-piracy 'Cornies will be happy to hear this, I'm sure.
James? Fernando? Magilla? :lol:
Hello, Nicky!!
I seldomly wander through these regions of the Nation...
But you BET I'm happy to hear this :D

This is just some of what is badly needed. I don't really know how effective this will be in terms of measurably slow illegal music sharing (stealing), but this will certainly scare more than a few people off. Now they have a reason to think twice before doing it.

I mean, it's not like grown-up people don't know music sharing is illegal. They might still do it, but much less comfortably. They see there's a REAL chance of getting caught, and it's not pretty.

I'm not really sorry for this woman. They'll be taking the fine money out of her paycheck for ever, but she asked for it. She can not say "Gee, I didn't know 'at was illegal". She took a chance, and she got BUSTED. Just like a regular thief. They KNOW what they do is illegal, yet they take their chances. They hope they won't get caught, but there's always a chance.
For intelectual property thieves, this shows there is a VERY realy chance of getting caught. But they should not worry. All they need to do is stop doing that, and they'll be able to sleep safe and sound.

This woman's tears did not get to me at all. She can cry all she wants but she got what she deserved. Fit punishment. I really hope more people realize this and understand stealing music is ilegal and wrong. If they don't get it then, apparently, someone will MAKE THEM get it.

Hopefully this will be an important precedent. A few dozen more cases like this and the message will be still clearer, and have more impact.

I suppose most people don't rob banks because they know it's a huge risk and very likely they'll get caught. It should be the same with stealing music.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

100% agreed, as always, Fernando.

I couldn't help but think of the motorist who cruises "with the traffic" at 10 kph over the limit.
If he gets caught, even though he was just "following the other drivers", he still knows he's been legitimately "done".

Should be the same for these music pirate varmints. :lol: