Newbie: Unisyn -> DP for Korg DW-8000?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

syncrasy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Newbie: Unisyn -> DP for Korg DW-8000?

Post by syncrasy »

I'm a DP/Unisyn newbie in need of some serious hand-holding re: getting DP to recognize the Korg DW-8000 patch names in Unisyn.

Problem: DP currently displays generic patch names (Patch 1, Patch 2, etc.) under the "Patch" and "Default Patch" columns of the MIDI track.

Goal: I want DP to display the actual names (Piano 1, E. Piano 1, etc.) that I've manually typed in Unisyn.

What I've tried:

- I created a group "Korg A" for the entire bank; I then took a snapshot of the group Korg A. (The manual isn't clear on whether one should copy to clipboard or transfer to a document, then copy. I tried both). Then I toggled over to DP and selected File > Unisyn Snapshot > Store into [file name]. Nothing happened.

- Per the manual, I then tried to use MIDI > Send Group > Korg A. Again, nothing happened in DP.

- I called MOTU tech support, who had me edit a patch to see if the changes were reflected in DP. They weren't, which points to a possible Unisyn-DP communication problem.

My questions:

1. Is there something unique about a Korg DW-8000 that prevents patch names from being recognized? For example, Do I have to "Write Enable" the Korg keyboard itself? (That would seem to defeat the purpose of a library, but then again, I'm a newbie.)

2. How do I troubleshoot a DP-Unisyn communication problem with the Korg? Tech support suggested I try edting a patch with my one other device (Roland JV-1010), but to be honest, I'm so intimidated by that device and by Unisyn that I'm too scared to make any changes for fear of deleting a patch. Besides, DP already recognizes Roland's patch names, so the Roland isn't a high priority for me. I'm hoping to solve the Korg problem without having to mess with the Roland.

3. Are there other specific settings I should check? (Device names, Audio MIDI Setup, etc.)

Thanks,
syncrasy
DP 4.61, Unisyn 2.1.1, MOTU 828 audio interface, MOTU Fastlane MIDI interface
Mac OS 10.4.9, G5, Dual 2.5, 2.5 GB RAM