How do I set up a Publishing / production co. for songs?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
donreynolds
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do I set up a Publishing / production co. for songs?

Post by donreynolds »

I see many songs that say produced by "such and such productions" or songs published by "such and such company".

I know many people do this themselves and are not "real" big companies.

Any advice on how I can go about setting this up for my recorded projects and compositions?

thanks,
Don
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: How do I set up a Publishing / production co. for songs?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Call BMI (Broadcast Music Inc.) in NY (212) 586-2000 and say you want to become a BMI publisher. You can also join ASCAP, but not both - at least not under the same name. You can have more than one publishing company (one ASCAP and one BMI) but there is no advantage to doing so unless you are publishing a lot of music in many areas - geographical and genre/venue, etc.. (Not being an ASCAP publisher, I don't know their # off the top of my head.)

You register the name with BMI or ASCAP and start using "Published by...<your name here> and that's about it.

You need to file Music Cue Sheets for TV and register works with the respective agency you join in order to collect on air play etc. They'll tell you everything you need to know.

basically, if you do more broadcast work (radio or TV) I'd go with BMI (and did). But ASCAP has some distinct advantages as well and might be better for you. Do the homework BEFORE you sign up. Once you join as a writer and/or publisher and have works out there, it is a major PITA to change ships.

Oh, go to their websites: BMI.com and I am guessing ASCAP.com.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

Thanks MDL crisis.
Is there any forms that I should fill out to be able to produce my own music? Example:
Don Reynolds productions
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

donreynolds wrote:Thanks MDL crisis.
Is there any forms that I should fill out to be able to produce my own music? Example:
Don Reynolds productions
That's a very big question. Depends on what you mean by produce. BMI or ASCAP can answer all that for you.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS