828mkII Output Levels

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Mixboy2105
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mkII Output Levels

Post by Mixboy2105 »

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the Main Outs of the 828mkII (and any MOTU Interface for that matter). Is the Main Volume control pre-D/A or post- D/A converter.

Is it also normal for the MAIN Out LED meters to be regularly hitting red while playing commercial level program material (i.e. mastered CDs) What scale are they calibrated to? I'm worried about clipping.

Have tried a search but nothign turned up.

Thank you.
wickedgtr1

Post by wickedgtr1 »

I am going to guess its pre-d/a because the way cuemix works... I assume its the same process just for a main out...

I've had the same thing on all my motu gear... the "red" just means it hit 0dB --- Or max it doesnt mean it went over... most pro-recorded stuff is compressed to the max to get the levels as high and consistant as possible... this is my guess....

If its wrong sorry...
Mixboy2105

Post by Mixboy2105 »

WickedGtr1,

Thanks for the reply. On the meter its labelled "1" at the red LED so I guess its normal when you're putting mastered program material.

But, the bummer would be if its pre D/A cos this means that if you trim the Main Volume, you're losing resolution at the output?