Running an 8pre as default audio interface (MIDI issues)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Maximummetal
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Running an 8pre as default audio interface (MIDI issues)

Post by Maximummetal »

I bought an 8pre today, and I want to use it as my default interface.

I used to run my Firepod as the default interface in Windows as opposed to my soundcard, so I used it for recording and I used it for listening to songs, watching movies, playing back MIDI files... all the stuff you'd do as any average computer user, and it worked great.

I bought the 8pre today, and I installed the drivers via the CD, turned on the 8pre and followed the windows instructions, and I got sound to play back, but for some reason it doesn't want to play back MIDI files. My band uses Guitar Pro (a tablature program, similar to PowerTab) to write and learn songs, and when I play files in Guitar Pro I hear nothing.

I've tried several reinstalls of the drivers and reboots and what not, but I can't seem to get MIDI files to play back. I'm so lost when it comes to MIDI stuff, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'd appreciate any help I can get. I want to love the 8pre, but if I can't hear Guitar Pro files and playback MIDI files on Windows Media Player then the 8pre isn't right for me. I'm sure there is a way to get it to work, I just can't figure it out

Thanks for any replies.
Maximummetal

Post by Maximummetal »

Anyone? I'm desperate here!
zara_drummer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by zara_drummer »

Did you set your "MIDI music playback" device to the 8pre??

That would be under the control panel --> Sound and Audio Device Properties --> Then the "audio" tab...

That would be the only place I think you can set your computer to play MIDI files thru...

Best of luck....
Maximummetal

Post by Maximummetal »

Thanks for the response zara_drummer

I've messed around with the MIDI music playback tab in "sound and audio devices". I've tried setting to the "8pre" with no luck, and I've tried setting it to "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth", the drivers that installed with my onboard Realtec AC97 soundcard. I know the fact that the drivers for the AC97 being installed is not a problem, I reinstalled windows XP and I installed only the 8pre and no soundcard, but it didn't make a difference.

My guess is that for some reason the 8pre doesn't like the "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth" and it won't work with the "8pre" MIDI drivers because I have nothing plugged into the 8pre MIDI. I'm not sure what else to try, I know I could run a pair of speakers from my soundcard to listen back to MIDI files on WMP or Guitar Pro, but that is such a hassle to switch back and forth, I want the 8pre to work like my firepod did and be my default interface, but maybe it isn't capable of doing that.

[/b]