Is Symphonic Instrument compatable with Garage Band?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

cstanton82
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Is Symphonic Instrument compatable with Garage Band?

Post by cstanton82 »

Hey,
I purchased Symphonic Instrument because I was impressed with the richness of the strings and.. bla, bla, bla. I'm trying to find out how to use it as a plug-in into Garage Band. Could someone tell me if this is even possible, and how.
jimagine

Post by jimagine »

Yes, it's very easy.
I use GB a lot as a sketch tool before going into DP.
Simply open GB after installing MSI, click on your default track (usually a piano VI).
Now, in the infromation pane on thel ower right of your GB window click on the instrument generator button that will say piano and scroll down toward the bottom of the list - in your VIs will be MSI.
Choose MSI and then click the button to the right called "manual" and that will open up the MSI interface and allow you to choose whatever instrument you want for that track.
Just repeat as many tracks as you want and your system will run.
dcoscina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dcoscina »

remember that GB doesn't allow multi instruments though . You have to load MSI player for each track. There's been some speculation as to how much processor power each player takes....
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

"How do I use the MOTU Symphonic Instrument with GarageBand?"
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 038419124/
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
Vwtales

I followed the instructions and still didn't work

Post by Vwtales »

Hi there:
I followed the instructions about using MSI with garageband. I reviewed the steps several times but still no luck. I checked again the installation of MSI including the upgrade to 1.3 and everything seems okay with it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

VW
ultra-nick

Re: I followed the instructions and still didn't work

Post by ultra-nick »

Vwtales wrote:Hi there:
I followed the instructions about using MSI with garageband. I reviewed the steps several times but still no luck. I checked again the installation of MSI including the upgrade to 1.3 and everything seems okay with it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

VW
The choirs and the solo instruments are usable?
Vwtales

Thank you, it works

Post by Vwtales »

Yes, it didn't work for me the way that was listed in a link posted by carrythebanner, but at the end it worked out all right. More maneuvering that I had planned but at least it works. The only problem is that I can't see MSI or any other clue about MSI in the tone generator at the bottom right as suggested...

VW