How to get BUS Power on 4 Pin Laptop

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
gschaefer
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How to get BUS Power on 4 Pin Laptop

Post by gschaefer »

Here is my sad story..

The AC adapater pin on my Ultralite has just stopped working (unless i hold it firmly to one side) exactly 2 weeks after a year since purchasing it. (Warranty is 1 year)

I only have a 4 pin Firewire interface on my laptop so is there anyway i can get it BUS powered using an adapater, a different cable or some type of external firewire interface ?

any suggestions really appreciated as i am totally stuck.

thanks in advance - glen
Iomegaman

Post by Iomegaman »

My experience with express cards 1394 on laptops is that it is possible if you buy a expresscard that IS ALSO EXTERNALLY POWERED, otherwise the nature of laptops and power usage is a design thing depending on the maker, unless its a Mac Book Pro, you are outta luck.

They do make TI chipset firewire cards that can use an external power adapter that will send the appropriate voltage down a 6 prong firewire port.
gschaefer

Post by gschaefer »

thanks for the reply..

seems like some potential issues with power supply and chipsets doing it this way - would a firewire hub like this do the trick as well ?

http://www.emdigital.com.au/?mod=store& ... oduct=1178
Iomegaman

Post by Iomegaman »

hmmm....

I dunno looks promising...
arth
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by arth »

I'd think that getting someone to open up your UL and look at the socket would be cheaper than buying a new firewire card. The way you describe it, chances are it's just a solder joint that's come loose, which can be fixed in less than a minute by someone who knows how to wield a soldering iron, especially since you've identified where the problem is so precisely.

In particular, any older keyboard or ax player should be able to help, as well as ham radio geeks and hi-fi buffs.

(Back in the days before integrated circuits and standards for interoperability, being able to solder was as important as being able to play. I'm sure a few guys here could tell you stories about "field work", how to open a Marshall quickly, and why...)
gschaefer

Post by gschaefer »

yeah i did exactly that after i took the case and saw how easy it was to get at and the local electronics shop fixed it in 5 mins for $10..

it's all good again now !!

thanks for your suggestions.

cheers - glen

http://www.myspace.com/tlearyus