2408 as a Windows audio device

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
duncancourts
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

2408 as a Windows audio device

Post by duncancourts »

Hi all -

I'm using a 2408 Mk I with a PCI-328 card in a PC running Windows XP. The 2408 and 328 work fine using ASIO drivers to connect to Wavelab or similar software, and Windows Media Player plays stereo fine through the 'default Direct Sound device'.

The problem is - Windows XP doesn't recognise the MOTU hardware as an actual 'audio device', so I can't configure the Windows sound system, use the Windows mixer, set up surround playback through the 2408 etc. I would like to be able to do this to test consumer PC audio playback plugins for WMP and a few other tasks.

Any ideas? I've tried every version of the MOTU drivers possible, but without luck.

Thanks,
Duncan.
Sneaker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 2408 as a Windows audio device

Post by Sneaker »

duncancourts wrote:Hi all -

I'm using a 2408 Mk I with a PCI-328 card in a PC running Windows XP. The 2408 and 328 work fine using ASIO drivers to connect to Wavelab or similar software, and Windows Media Player plays stereo fine through the 'default Direct Sound device'.

The problem is - Windows XP doesn't recognise the MOTU hardware as an actual 'audio device', so I can't configure the Windows sound system, use the Windows mixer, set up surround playback through the 2408 etc. I would like to be able to do this to test consumer PC audio playback plugins for WMP and a few other tasks.

Any ideas? I've tried every version of the MOTU drivers possible, but without luck.

Thanks,
Duncan.

I am kind of running into the same issue, I keep thinking it's a setting or something I have over looked but I haven't figured it out.
Kaizoku

MOTU Audio Interfaces and Windows XP

Post by Kaizoku »

I don't know why, but the driver setup leaves windows recognizing all I/O in stereo pairs - I can't for the life of me get it to use more than two channels at a time.

How can one use a MOTU interface for simple surround playback (i.e. off a DVD)?

my 15$ sound card can do this easily enough, but it sounds sort of terrible. Why can't MOTU?
Hard2Hear
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Hard2Hear »

are you talking about surround decoding? Because MOTU doesnt do that and nowhere does it say it does. There arent any Pro level devices that do that in the hardware, thats a poor way to get it done. Stereo pairs is how Windows recognizes all professional cards.
Kaizoku

Is Windows Crippled?

Post by Kaizoku »

so... Windows only recognizes pro hardware as stereo pairs eh? but in the mac realm almost all interfaces I've tried (MOTU, Tascam, M-Audio, Digidesign) have a way to address them as a 5.1 set - I mean it's just a matter of saying "channel 3 and 4 are actually rear left and Right..." etc. Is there really no way of doing this in the PC world?