BWAV support SIT IN! (no conversion to SDII anymore,please!)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Tim »

vbassguy wrote:
gearboy wrote:I'll talk to them at AES. I'm sure that'll help.

:roll:
Motu was a no show at AES last year.....I wonder if they'll show this year?
They've not shown their faces there in several years (not the west coast ones anyway).

Broadcast Wave is the AES standard.
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

They were there in NYC in 2005, as was I.
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

Got my vote
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

vbassguy wrote:
gearboy wrote:I'll talk to them at AES. I'm sure that'll help.

:roll:
Motu was a no show at AES last year.....I wonder if they'll show this year?
They've not shown their faces there in several years (not the west coast ones anyway).

Broadcast Wave is the AES standard.[/quote]

perhaps thats why they didn‘t show?
DP 5.12/OS X 10.4.9/MacBook C2D 2.0 1GB Ram/RME Fireface 400
genel

Post by genel »

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering.
R. Buckminster Fuller
http://www.facebook.com/GeneLennonProductions
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

so bwav is on its way for DP ? :D
genel

Post by genel »

BWAV support is long overdue, but someone else can take a shot at AES. When I asked about the lack PDC a few years back, I was treated quite rudely. Not the best way to handle a 20-year customer.
Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering.
R. Buckminster Fuller
http://www.facebook.com/GeneLennonProductions
dtiger

Post by dtiger »

While you're waiting around for DP to change, you might want to consider using Barbabatch (from Audioease) to batch convert all the files before loading into DP (I've had poor results in the past with DP's conversion process and no longer trust it).
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

yeah, I could buy another programm just to convert bwav to SDII but I don‘t really want to - DP should cahnge ; )
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

I've never had any trouble with the way DP converts ex-Pro Tools BWav files into SDII's - it's even pretty reliable at maintaining the time-stamps.

Damn! Now I'm going to have to do a bunch of exhaustive null tests to check that they're converting ok.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

dtiger wrote:While you're waiting around for DP to change, you might want to consider using Barbabatch (from Audioease) to batch convert all the files before loading into DP (I've had poor results in the past with DP's conversion process and no longer trust it).
Yes It's just not on and don't mention their dither either. It's just not good enough that you pay top dollar for a program that has many great features but one of the most important in this day and age is so sorely lacking and has not been updated for years.

Come on Motu
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

I don‘t want to spread rumours - AFAIK conversion of bwav to sdII in DP is working great...

I am just complaining that it takes very long (if the project is huge as was the last I was working on - 30GB of audio files - took me a working day to convert and import them all.)
Dave Bourke

Post by Dave Bourke »

Broadcast Wave is also the European Broadcasting Union standard. This means that if you do any audio work for EU-funded or EU government-funded bodies you're required to deliver it in that format.

Kind regards.
Dave Bourke
– ideation –

Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66 GHz, 5 Gb, OS X 10.5.8, iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.6.2, Mac G4 dual 800 MHz Quicksilver, DP 7.11, PCIe-424/24i, UAD-2 Quad/UAD-1e, PowerCore Firewire.
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

Dave Bourke wrote:Broadcast Wave is also the European Broadcasting Union standard. This means that if you do any audio work for EU-funded or EU government-funded bodies you're required to deliver it in that format.

Kind regards.
That's another good point. SDII is way too fickle a format for delivering final audio. I discovered that the hard way when I pulled a couple of mix stems out of my audio files folder and posted them on an FTP site for my sound designer. Once it had been on a windows server all the resource forks got stripped off the files and it was basically useless.

At the moment I'm using PT-LE to convert all of my DP SDII's to BWAV for delivery and archiving.

In fact, while they're at it, MOTU would do well to make all of their file formats (DP project files & clippings etc.) windows compatible, even though it's a Mac only program. It sucks that I can't email a DP session file to someone I'm collaborating with.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
magicd

Post by magicd »

Mr_Clifford wrote: That's another good point. SDII is way too fickle a format for delivering final audio. I discovered that the hard way when I pulled a couple of mix stems out of my audio files folder and posted them on an FTP site for my sound designer. Once it had been on a windows server all the resource forks got stripped off the files and it was basically useless.

In fact, while they're at it, MOTU would do well to make all of their file formats (DP project files & clippings etc.) windows compatible, even though it's a Mac only program. It sucks that I can't email a DP session file to someone I'm collaborating with.
.zip the file (Control Click or Right Click on the file to get the Finder menu that shows the Archive option) before you post or email it, and the header will not get stripped off.

Magic Dave