Careful what you wish for...

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
wvmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Careful what you wish for...

Post by wvmusic »

I've always dreamed of having my own studio. I've been recording for thirty years as a hobby while working day gigs to support my music habit. Well, in June of 2006 it happened, my studio is now my day gig.

I'm in Belle, WV, a small town about 10 miles outside Charleston, WV. Believe it or not, I'm really busy. Producing tracks for vocalists, recording bands, mixing, tape to cd transfers, arranging, teaching. Now I'm learning what I do and don't like about running a commercial studio.

I've learned that engineering is not how I want to spend my time. Producing yes, engineering no. I've found I don't have the patience to listen to a mix over and over tweaking that bass guitar so it doesn't fight with the kick, or making sure when I hand over a CD to a client it sounds as LOUD as Maroon 5's latest project... Maybe I'm just too slow?

So my question is; is there anyone who lives close enough to Belle, WV who could work on a per project basis as an engineer in Daubenspeck Music Studios? You can see the studio at DaubenspeckMusicStudios.com

Our call me at 1-800-479-3753.

Thanks,

Alan
MacBook Pro (Retina 13 inch. Late 2013)
2.4GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OSX 10.12.6
DP 9.52
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I sympathise with your beef, Alan.
It's especially bad when you've gotta listen to a really crappy song/arrangement/recording all day.

I remember the moment well, in audio school some years back, when I realised the implications of an extended run of having to listen to/work with poor material.
"How would I cope?", I thought. I still don't know.

Pity I'm so far away; I'd love to mosey on over and help out where I could.

Good luck finding the help you're after.
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
kokojones

Post by kokojones »

although I don't have my own studio, I can relate... I've been doing live sound for a couple of years and what erks me is having to mix for bad performers. It makes a world of difference. Rather then mess with compressors and eq's, I finally learned to realize that I can say, 'you know what, it's only going to sound as good how the performers are playing.' I've come to a decision point where I dont know if I want to be doing live sound anymore because of it.

But! When great performers come along, man is it fun!
Powerbook G4; 1.67 Ghz; 1.5 GB Ram
DP 5.12
Pro Tools 7 LE
Mbox