Monitor Fixed! Here's a recommendation for you!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Monitor Fixed! Here's a recommendation for you!

Post by Shooshie »

As you may remember, my Apple 23" Cinema Display (2002) had gone out on me last week. Actually, only one or two of the 6 fluorescent tubes had gone out. The rest kept burning, which enabled me to keep using it over the weekend. Boy it looked awful running on just half-a-batch of tubes! As soon as it broke I began doing the research, and finally came to one place which seems to have the monopoly on fixing monitors like this. They also sell replacement parts. That's what I was looking for. I wanted to replace the fluorescent tubes myself rather than sending it off to Apple for (rumored) fees of up to $700 or thereabouts. It's a beautiful display, and I really hated to lose it, but I'm not going to spend that much money on a 5 year old monitor! (can you believe that it originally cost $3500?)

So, not being 100% sure from the website which fluorescent tubes to buy, I called the company. The guy I spoke to in tech support had a thick chinese accent, but he was very patient and polite. He asked what display it was, and I told him the product number. He replied "Ohhh... you no want tube. You want inverter," which was a circuit board with coils on it like THIS. I argued, because I was convinced that it was a bulb... er.. tube.

Long story short, he was very convincing, so I bought the inverter. I had it shipped 2nd day air, and it went out on Friday. Well, surprise, but it's Monday, and the part is already here, and I've already installed it, and IT WORKS!!! I recommend this company! Friendly, helpful, fast, reasonable, and they know their stuff.

I had read their PDF on how to install this inverter, so when I started working on it, I didn't even have to pause or look up anything. It was a snap. And I'm SOOO glad it was the inverter, and not a tube. The tubes are hard to install. But that's probably going to happen next. After all, this baby is over 5 years old, and it's been on most of that time. What's really great, though, is that all 6 tubes look like they're brand new now. The display is sharper, brighter, and better contrast than it was before. This must have been a slow and steady decline, because it is amazingly beautiful now. Better than new, if memory serves. So, if you need to repair a monitor, go to Moniserv. It is also known as LCD Parts. You at least stand a chance of getting what you need, plus the tutorials to install it.

I can't believe that I've got my monitor back, that it was so easy, cheap ($129), and that it looks better than I've ever seen it look!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

And good news for the environment too :D
content is the new style
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Fantastic -- knock on wood if my Apple display ever goes out I know just what to do.

THANKS for posting.

--
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Dude! Shoosh, THAT is awesome!! How often do we have things turn out that well? I'd have that sick feeling inside like the whole monitor was toast or really expensive to fix. That's a great outcome and thanks for posting that here!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
robstudio

Post by robstudio »

Way to go Shoosh!!!
Regards, Rob
Mac Pro 2x2.66GHz, 3 GB Ram, OS10.4.11 (not using 10.5), DP5.13, 2408mKIII, 2408mKII, 328 Digital Console (x2), FostexD2424, Micro Lite, QSR, SPX90, URS, PSP, Altiverb, Alphatrack, Shuttle
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Given the complicated times you're experiencing at the moment, it must almost feel as if someone's batting for you, in your corner, rooting for you, praying for you, on your side...

That's seriously great, Shoosh! :D

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Monitor Fixed! Here's a recommendation for you!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Excellent info and story, Shooshie. Many of us will benefit from that.

And with the money you saved you have enough to buy... L8!

Don't you love it when life works out like that?

BTW, how's the hip going? (If you don't mind my asking?)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

monkey man wrote:Given the complicated times you're experiencing at the moment, it must almost feel as if someone's batting for you, in your corner, rooting for you, praying for you, on your side...

Well, at least THAT one did work out! So, if anyone was praying for me, I certainly DO appreciate it. Now... about the past year... I'm ready to protest a certain deity who apparently just turned off his monitor and stopped listening for a while. Do gods go on vacation?

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:BTW, how's the hip going? (If you don't mind my asking?)
Of course I don't mind! Thanks for asking. After a year of recuperation, it's quite usable now, but it does cause me a lot of pain. Apparently scar tissue has started forming, and it's getting a little less flexible. I've begun bicycling to help it, since skating is not advisable until it's really solid.

With three titanium screws the size of Sharpies or fountain pens aimed right through the center of the ball, into the bone, it ought to be good and strong, but it really depends on whether the bone continues to grow or if it just finally does of lack of blood supply. I think it's growing fine, but I'm exercising as much as I can stand without aggravating it.

Now, if only my knee would improve.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Shooshie wrote:
monkey man wrote:Given the complicated times you're experiencing at the moment, it must almost feel as if someone's batting for you, in your corner, rooting for you, praying for you, on your side...
Well, at least THAT one did work out! So, if anyone was praying for me, I certainly DO appreciate it. Now... about the past year... I'm ready to protest a certain deity who apparently just turned off his monitor and stopped listening for a while. Do gods go on vacation?
Two possibilities:
The obvious one is that he's listening, but saying, "no".
Less obvious might be that he's tired of hearing the same request repeatedly and gone AWOL - you know the one:
"Please, dear Lord, make the next version of DP a PT and Logic killer". :lol:
Sorry.
Shooshie wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:BTW, how's the hip going? (If you don't mind my asking?)
Of course I don't mind! Thanks for asking. After a year of recuperation, it's quite usable now, but it does cause me a lot of pain. Apparently scar tissue has started forming, and it's getting a little less flexible. I've begun bicycling to help it, since skating is not advisable until it's really solid.

With three titanium screws the size of Sharpies or fountain pens aimed right through the center of the ball, into the bone, it ought to be good and strong, but it really depends on whether the bone continues to grow or if it just finally does of lack of blood supply. I think it's growing fine, but I'm exercising as much as I can stand without aggravating it.
Now, if only my knee would improve.
Shooshie
I know it's a tad pricey (I've only ever been able to afford one tub), but you might want to check out the barley grass powder I recommended in the "Shooshie's in hospital" thread.
As I said there, I know of a fella who completely rebuilt his hip and of course cured the cancer that had eaten it, simply by pigging out on the stuff.
He was a family man and knew nothing about health, but was spooked into action by his love for his kids, so was prepared to think outside the box.
I think he had up to 10 or more large spoons of it a day.
IMHO, one tablespoon a day, or a square inch (when you gather it together) in width of wheatgrass will catalyze and indeed feed the rebuilding process.

FWIW, the stress you've been under as well as the body's demands for your hip may both have been instrumental in altering your sleep patterns.
Remember the calcium-sleep connection?
Rest well, 'Meister. :D

BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Well, I almost feel guilty for buying a WINDOWS BASED PC LCD widescreen display for $250 with a DMTI connector :lol: 8)
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Bugger.