Mac Market Share Analysis from the NY Times

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Market Share Analysis from the NY Times

Post by buzzsmith »

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Re: Mac Market Share Analysis from the NY Times

Post by Shooshie »

buzzsmith wrote:I found this interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/techn ... ref=slogin

Buzz
I didn't agree with most of it, but it was interesting that they'd look at things that way. Almost as if the Mac isn't allowed to matter, since the giant will soon wake up and put an end to the dream. That's utter BS, and it's what they've been saying since 1985. When will they ever learn? :D

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

I should write for the NY Times, as that person's fluff article left something to be desired.

I think what it shows you is that Microsoft, as a giant corporation, is unable to function in such a fast paced market. what the world needs is MORE companies like Apple to gobble up that other 97% of operating system & computer market share.

Just my opinion.
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
blue

Post by blue »

This article makes no sense. Microsoft doesn't sell computers, so why compare their software marketshare to Apple's hardware marketshare? Apples and oranges, or should I say lemons.

Apple is actually doing well as a computer manufacturer. Last I heard they had edged out Dell. That's pretty damned big. I'm sure if they licensed their software they could compete with Microsoft, but they don't so there is really no comparison.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

blue wrote:This article makes no sense. Microsoft doesn't sell computers, so why compare their software marketshare to Apple's hardware marketshare? Apples and oranges, or should I say lemons.
This is what "they" (people who want to denigrate apple) always do. They never compare Apple's marketshare w HP, Dell, etc. It is always Apple vs all windows pcs. Irritates the hell out of me.

--
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

emulatorloo wrote: This is what "they" (people who want to denigrate apple) always do. They never compare Apple's marketshare w HP, Dell, etc. It is always Apple vs all windows pcs. Irritates the hell out of me.
You're so right...I admit I never thought of it that way, but it's so obvious.

Buzz
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Resonant Alien
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Resonant Alien »

emulatorloo wrote:
blue wrote:This article makes no sense. Microsoft doesn't sell computers, so why compare their software marketshare to Apple's hardware marketshare? Apples and oranges, or should I say lemons.
This is what "they" (people who want to denigrate apple) always do. They never compare Apple's marketshare w HP, Dell, etc. It is always Apple vs all windows pcs. Irritates the hell out of me.

--
The article is a biased piece wihtout a lot of science behind it (I'm sure the guy wrote his piece on a Windows machine).

That said, we should be honest with ourselves. The "3% market share" number for Apple is actually a valid number because that is Apple's share of the "PC Market". This number is derived based on the total number of "PCs" sold and includes the sales of Dell, HP, etc.

Now with THAT said, where this guy (and most people who try to write "Apple is dying" pieces of crap like this) screwed up is in taking that 3% market share number and trying to draw a direct comparison with Microsoft. THAT is bunk because, as you guys point out, the "3% market share" number is really a comparison of how well Apple is doing against Dell, HP, etc., NOT necessarily how well they are doing against Microsoft. It is only because, by default, the majority of Dells and HPs and other "PCs" run Windows that this comparison has any kind of relevance at all.

The missing piece of the puzzle here is that Linux is not accounted for, and Microsoft may actually be incorrectly getting credit for some Linux machines. I know people that buy a Dell, wipe Windows off the drive and install Linux. Although this counts toward Dell's 15% PC market share, these are not "Windows" machines, and therefore say nothing about Apple vs Windows.

To do a real comparison, you have to know the number of units sold of OSX versus Windows, and you have to include copies bundled with Macs/PC as well as OTC sales. This is the only number that tells us anything about OSX versus Windows.