problems with slow disk?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
logo80
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

problems with slow disk?

Post by logo80 »

I tried to record 8 mono plus 1 stereo tracks direclty from my mackie onyx 1620 through the firewire port of my powerbook 12 inch 1.3GHz (G4) with 1.25 GB ram and since I had silence through the inputs or just a single or two inputs I have no problem at all, but when all the input got some signals I had a pop up window with an error message and a "maybe disk to slow?" message... I tried to change buffer settings etc etc but the problem persist... so since the hard disk is a 5400rpm I don't think it has problem to write 1,5 MB second (I think that 8 mono plus 1 stereo at 44100 16 bit just need 1,5 mb per second but I'm not good in mathematics :roll: ) so what the problem is since the processor never reach the red line?
Regards, Lorenzo
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I can't get to the point you're dealing with. Sorry.

But, FYI, I just finished a DP mix of 20 audio 44.1/24 tracks.
All the project, 14Go size, was placed on an external IBM 5400rpm HD, housed in a USB1 case without a glitch. Yes USB "1" !
In regard of other projects housed on FireWire drives, DP has just been some little less responsive to commands, but everything has worked fine.

BTW the "slow disk" warning is disabled in my DP preferences.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: problems with slow disk?

Post by bjornln »

logo80 wrote:I tried to record 8 mono plus 1 stereo tracks direclty from my mackie onyx 1620 through the firewire port of my powerbook 12 inch 1.3GHz (G4) with 1.25 GB ram and since I had silence through the inputs or just a single or two inputs I have no problem at all, but when all the input got some signals I had a pop up window with an error message and a "maybe disk to slow?" message... I tried to change buffer settings etc etc but the problem persist... so since the hard disk is a 5400rpm I don't think it has problem to write 1,5 MB second (I think that 8 mono plus 1 stereo at 44100 16 bit just need 1,5 mb per second but I'm not good in mathematics :roll: ) so what the problem is since the processor never reach the red line?
Regards, Lorenzo
1,14 MB/s + overhead... but who cares... :-)

Things to look at:
1. Not enough / fragmented space on your hard drive.
2. Buffer settings. Haven't seen or worked with the Onyx, so I don't know anything about it, but you might wanna ckeck the buffers.
3. Running toomany apps at the same time
4. Not enough RAM installed... Which makes the Computer swap (=use the HD as RAM, which is slooooooow)

Also, check that you have the latest drivers for the Onyx (if there are any).

Best
/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
logo80

Post by logo80 »

thannx for the reply... no answer in the 5 points but I have to see if there are any other new driver for the onyx 1620... maybe it's due to them.
Cos the hard disk is free, I perform onyx tasks every week and I have the ram maxed out... no other application except for dp...
regards, Lorenzo
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

"problems with slow disk?"

Doesn't this belong in "The Age Thread", Logo80? :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
logo80

Post by logo80 »

:P
logo80

Post by logo80 »

uops... no driver... on the mackie page they say that all came with core audio by apple... :roll: anyone runs a similar setup? have anyone the same problems?
regards, Lorenzo