MOTU Core PCI reliability on Windows XP and Vista?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Khazul
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Core PCI reliability on Windows XP and Vista?

Post by Khazul »

When this thing came out, it quickly got a really bad reputation for reliability of the software on Windows.

Whats it like these days - is it all fixed?
What are common problem sthat people encounter on a PC if any?

I am thinking of getting a PCI express core system with a 2408 Mk3 and a 24 I/O to plum into a Mackie 32.8 console.

The alternative I am thinking of is one of the RME systems, just the MOTU hardware interfaces are more closely aligned to my needs.

Another question, what are typical *reliable* latencies people are experiencing with the MOTU core at 44.1 and 96K.

The PC it will be used with is current Windows XP + SP2 based, though I have Vista 64 on a dual boot. PC Hardware, Pentium D dual core at 3.6Ghz, 2Gig 800Mhz memory, running Cubase 4 and Ableton Live 6.

Other significant hardware that I need compatibility with - Virus TI USB MIDI and audio, Edirol UM-880 MIDI - in case anyone has experienced problems with either.

I currently have a Yamaha mLan system (01x + i88x), but I am getting sick reinstalling the drivers lots, and it loosing sync, blah blah - basically just had enough of flakely drivers and the last thing I want to do is trade one set of problems for another - better the devil you know etc.

Thanks all for any comments.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

You would have to get the machine and give it a go by adding your PC drive as a second drive and booting through boot camp. On the IO's I would recommend RME as they work swimmingly on both platforms. Good luck.
Khazul

Post by Khazul »

My currentl machine is a real PC - not an Apple mac - so no boot camp etc.

I may consider getting a high end intel mac at some time, but now right now :)