a few 828mkii firewire questions

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
chrishenly
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

a few 828mkii firewire questions

Post by chrishenly »

Ok guys some questions for you but first heres some backround info.

I have had a motu 828mkii for some time now and have (after changing back xp sp2 firewire drivers to the sp1 firewire drivers) had only a few problems.

Thing is im changing the motherboard in my system soon as mine is rubbish and cant support my nice DDR2 800 memory properally.

So the questions are..

1. If i were to get a PCIe firewire 800 card (that uses its own drivers rather than the totally useless xp ones) would i see more stable results with the 828mkii? - has anyone here tried using an 828mkii on a firewire 800 card?

2. i really want to get a second 828mkii and have 16 ins and 20 outs but i have yet to meet any1 that has actually used 2 on a pc with xp. If i get two is it better to run them on their own firewire port or "daisy-chain" them? If i run two will they show up as one device in asio sofware (more specificaly Adobe Audition) - either way will i be able to record each channel from both 828mkii's within audition?
Also will the cuemix control show all 16 inputs?

Please guys i need to hear from some1 that is using or has used two motu 828mkii's simaltaniously on a pc running windows xp i dont want to waste another £600 on a second 828mkii if i cant use them the way i need to.

Also i have been reading about many horror stories of 828mkii's dying with crazy flashing led's and strange characters on the dispay. Is this a big thing with these or what? Has any1 gotten a response from motu about this? Man im shitting bricks LOL if this happened to me during a live performance it would ruin me.

Seems to me that motu are not very forthcomming with answers or reasurances which is a dam shame as these 828mkii's are awesome pieces of hardware - its also a shame that the same cant be said about the drivers that they supply.

Thanks in advance.
splatterbass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by splatterbass »

i went through the whole damn thing of trying to get two 828mkII`s running together with xp.
spent over a week on it, tried every posible way i could think off.
sure it would detect them, sure it would say they would work. but the digital sync between them caused glitches in anything trying to use them as output.
noise from hell.
mine died in the middle of a recording project, the loaner was another brand of firewire device that could best be described as a door stop. with 2 days to go to the next session i just picked up another 828kII, now i have a spare, or a portable depending on how you look at it.