problem installing FW drivers with XP/SP2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
georgeludwig
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

problem installing FW drivers with XP/SP2

Post by georgeludwig »

I've got an original 828 and have been trying to move it to another machine. I downloaded the latest drivers from MOTU and followed the install directions (i.e., install drivers with device unattached, reboot, attach device, wait for new hardware dialog).

I get the new hardware dialog, but the driver install just keeps crashing with an error msg "Run a SLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Device manager sees the 828 but it has the yellow exclamation mark. If I try to view the properties or update the driver, the device manager crashes.

Anyone seen this? I've tried both the XP and Vista drivers, did uninstalls and reboots, etc but I'm at a loss.
Smokehouse
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Smokehouse »

Let me start with some basic stuff.

1) You need to install the MOTU drivers *before* you connected the MOTU hardware to the firewire controller. If you just connect the 828 via firewire and let Windows Plug and Play take over, and then try to install the MOTU drivers afterwards, you will get bad results.

It's actually not that easy to remove a device driver once it's installed. So be sure it's really really really off your system and then begin again.

2) You have an 'approved' FireWire controller. (That is, some controller that is using an Texas Instruments [TI] chipset.)
"I'll try anything twice."
Dell Latitude E6400 w/ WIN XP SP3, ADS Pyro 1394 FireWire
SONAR 8.5, WaveArts TrackPlus & MasterVerb, AutoTune 4.1
MOTU 828 MKIII, MOTU 828mkII, Presonus Digimax LT
splatterbass

Post by splatterbass »

have you tried the sp1 1394 rollback?
Smokehouse

Post by Smokehouse »

I would recommend the SP1 1394 rollback as standard procedure. (Interested if anyone disagrees.) I've upgraded my machine a couple of times and each time I start with a clean install, test the system, get pretty good behavior but occational whistles and lockups. Then I do the SP1 rollback and the clouds part and all is well. Rock solid.
"I'll try anything twice."
Dell Latitude E6400 w/ WIN XP SP3, ADS Pyro 1394 FireWire
SONAR 8.5, WaveArts TrackPlus & MasterVerb, AutoTune 4.1
MOTU 828 MKIII, MOTU 828mkII, Presonus Digimax LT
Liam Grant

Post by Liam Grant »

One difficulty in re-installing is that the MFWAkeys.exe process launches on start-up. When you uninstall the MOTU drivers and software, this process is unaffected and will launch as usual on next restart.
I manually deleted the file before reinstalling and everything worked fine afterwards.
Hope this helps.
Liam Grant

Post by Liam Grant »

Btw, have you checked for a firmware update?