UltraLite drivers and software won't install properly on XP

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
MDesigner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UltraLite drivers and software won't install properly on XP

Post by MDesigner »

I grabbed the 32fw.zip and ran setup. It seems to get to the very end, then it gets stuck here:

Why?? Surely I can't be the only person who's ever had this problem?
Gerry G
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

No others have had this too.

Post by Gerry G »

I cannot recall if I had this problem but basically you have to go to this topic on Unicornation.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9411

Go through the five pages. Then find your way to the RME site which has a firewire fix instruction page. You get the Microsoft firewire fix (along the way) but that does not fix it.

Effectively you have to roll back the firewire drivers to Windows Service Pack 1 (about 2001). That is ok. It works fine on all systems.

Then you have to reset the SidSpeed (or add a SidSpeed) key in your registry from 100 to 400 bps.

Anything short of these steps and your firwire is throttled or kinked like a hose. Do not listen to those that say that speed does not matter.

I think what happened with your system is that it gets to the end and then tries to detect the firewire device but cannot because there is a fault in the firewire software interface. It was Windows that did this by 'fixing' firewire by throttling it back to 100.

I think there is another solution to this problem of getting near the instal and stopping. It was something like switching off and restarting it when it would go through but I cannot remember. Anyway this will still do no good until the firewire connection is fixed and back up to speed or that was my experience anyhow.
Hard2Hear

Post by Hard2Hear »

The Firewire hotfix automaticly fixes the speed when you run it AFTER you've installed your firewire device. It should always be run after any firewire device is installed. It will usually give an error once saying its already on the system, but you clear it and it will run correctly the second time.
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

So then what is the issue I'm running into here?
aliisvorbach

ultralite

Post by aliisvorbach »

hi again,
looking back thru some recent posts and I see MDesigner has/had the same problem, I also get the same page display. can some kind person tell me what to do in laymans terms as i am basically inept with this Pc world and on a steeep learning curve. not confident mucking around with registry settings....yet!
aliis