2408 mkIII word clock problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Chris Parsons
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2408 mkIII word clock problems

Post by Chris Parsons »

I have a 2408mkIII feeding via. lightpipe into and from a Sony DMX-R100 console. Al of the conversion happens in the Sony, I only use the digital i/o of the 2408. I clock it all with a Big Ben.

For some reason, the 2408 will not work with the word clock input. The sony is set to word clock in, and it is synced up no problem. If I set the 2408 to word clock in, the audio goes away although the green output lights on the 2408 still light. The only way I have gotten things to work is to have the 2408 set to ADAT to get it's clock source. So the sony is getting word clock, and the 2408 is getting it from the sony. I suppose this is okay, but I'd really like to do it right (have eveything get it's own direct word clock signal)

Any Ideas???

Thanks!

-Chris Parsons

P.S. I have checked cables and word clock generator.
robstudio

Post by robstudio »

Hi Chris, I always clock my 2408(s) off of my digital board... same setup sans the big ben (I'm going green here...). It works for me no problem. Provided you've swapped cables and tried a known working word clock out from your BB to eliminate a cable / BB issue, I'd say you've got a wonky word clock input on your 2408. I would definatly want to set up in this manner as well, you've paid the $$$ for the clock, may as well take full advantage. If you're out of warrenty and have electronics experience, I'd pull the cover off and see what things are looking like at the w/c connection to the circuit board. Sometimes just warming the solder with an iron will fix up a loose joint. Has the word in ever worked on your 2408? ... otherwise, I'd have to say a call to motu, for an RMA is in order. Good luck.
Regards, Rob
Mac Pro 2x2.66GHz, 3 GB Ram, OS10.4.11 (not using 10.5), DP5.13, 2408mKIII, 2408mKII, 328 Digital Console (x2), FostexD2424, Micro Lite, QSR, SPX90, URS, PSP, Altiverb, Alphatrack, Shuttle
Chris Parsons

Post by Chris Parsons »

well to be honest, i'm not entirely sure when this starting to happen. It MAY have been when we ditched our old 2408 mkI for the mkIII. This leads me to believe that it's a problem with the mkIII and the rest of my system is fine. I was just hoping it was a setting somewhere and I wouldn't have to deal with tech support/returning the unit.

If anyone has any other ideas feel free to chime in!

Thanks,

-Chris
robstudio

Post by robstudio »

The only way I have gotten things to work is to have the 2408 set to ADAT to get it's clock source.
I was just hoping it was a setting somewhere
There certainly is a setting but I'm figuring you know about about it if you're able to change from w/c to adat... the pci 424 window, and select your clock source from the drop down list. 2408mk3:Word Clock In ... if you've selected that and you still get no word clock then somethings up.... there's no hidden setting that I know of. I'll ask as well, have you swapped the known working cable going to your console, with the cable going to your 2408 to make sure the problem follows the device and not the cable/BB output? If you have and you still see no w/c then most likely an input problem. I've never heard of a software issue taking out a wordclock port. I hope you get it sorted, keep us posted.
Regards, Rob
Mac Pro 2x2.66GHz, 3 GB Ram, OS10.4.11 (not using 10.5), DP5.13, 2408mKIII, 2408mKII, 328 Digital Console (x2), FostexD2424, Micro Lite, QSR, SPX90, URS, PSP, Altiverb, Alphatrack, Shuttle