No MOTU audio devices detected....

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
whentomorrowfails
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

No MOTU audio devices detected....

Post by whentomorrowfails »

okay, so I got a traveler a few weeks ago, and the set-up was a bit rocky at first as far as the software and drivers go. but i got through it just fine. then the other day, i decided that i wanted to rearrange some things to make my working environment a little more ergonomical with less hassle to get to things. after my "operation rearrange" i went to run cuemix and it said "no MOTU audio devices detected". then i start trying to open the other things such as motu audio and i get "no motu device detected, make sure your motu audio device is connect, powered on, and that the drivers are installed". then i go to the "smpte" and i get "the audiowire driver was not found".

i am not sure what the hell could've happened, but i have uninstalled/reinstalled at least a dozen times and i get the same result every time. looking in my device manager i see "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" the firewire card is an "IEEE 1394 (Firewire) 2-Port PCIMCIA Card " found at the following address: http://www.dynexproducts.com/p-507-dyne ... -card.aspx

but there is nothing listed from motu, and if i am not mistaken there was when it was working properly.

i am running:
sony vaio VGN-FS750P laptop
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
1.86 GHz
504MB of RAM
120 gig hdd
dual layer dvd/cd burner

does anyone have ANY ideas? i am at a complete loss as to what happened. the only thing i did was take the card out, after shut down. i didn't do anything to the software or anything i just physically rearranged the placement of stuff.
kudos,
-duane
http://www.whentomorrowfails.com
Sony Vaio VGN-FS750P Laptop
1.86GHZ Pentium
3GB ram
120GB internal HDD/1TB external HDD
Windows XP Professional Edition
Sony Vegas Pro, Acid Pro 6.0 (w/ NI Kompakt), DVD Architect Pro 5.0, CD Architect 5.0, Soundforge 8.0, Cinescore 1.0, Fruity Loops Studio 7.0, tons of F/X Packages, and about 60GB of loops & samples.
466MHz Mac PowerPC G4
512MB ram
40GB HDD/1TB external HDD
OSX 10.4.11
MOTU Traveler
DP6
rnm

Post by rnm »

Sounds like you firewire card has gone tits-up, try a different one with a TI chipset if you can
whentomorrowfails

it's not that, it recognizes the card. if i put it in the "found new hardware" thing pops up and everything, so i don't think it's the card.
kudos,
-duane
1.86GHZ Pentium
3GB ram
Sony Vegas Pro, Acid Pro 6.0 (w/ NI Kompakt), DVD Architect Pro 5.0, CD Architect 5.0, Soundforge 8.0, Cinescore 1.0, Fruity Loops Studio 7.0, tons of F/X Packages, and about 60GB of loops & samples.
466MHz Mac PowerPC G4
512MB ram
OSX 10.4.11
MOTU Traveler
DP6
rnm

Post by rnm »

The found new hardware thing should only pop up when you put the card in for the first time when the computer looks for drivers, after that you should only get a beep when the card initializes, if it happens every time you put it in then you have a driver problem for the firewire card. I should try your Motu on a different computer if possible.
whentomorrowfails

no, that's what it does it does that beeping noise and when i click on the little icon thingy for added hardware it's in there and knows what it is.
kudos,
-duane
1.86GHZ Pentium
3GB ram
466MHz Mac PowerPC G4
512MB ram
OSX 10.4.11
MOTU Traveler
DP6
rnm

Post by rnm »

I've just looked at the manual for the card you have ,it has a VIA chipset, these can be flakey when it comes to audio hardware try to find a card with a TI chipset, I use a Belkin card,
rverne10

Reinstalling got you down?

Post by rverne10 »

singin' the blues bout device not recognized?- (I think I'll write a tune on this theme)
I have always found that when ever there is any doubt about a setup, that a clean install will often work.
Sometimes, in the desperate darkness of the night when the 'no-audio- gear' blues set in, I've reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system from scratch.
However, I would not, (repeat, do not reinstall your operating system, step away from the computer, place your hands over your head . . .) do such a thing now.
Here's a tip from Echo and Cakewalk techies: (not available from MOTU, or maybe ask them), do a clean sweep of the original install by removing all new files that were installed when you pushed the install button.
So here's the recipe:
1. Run uninstall (obviously),
2. then run a utility program like Registry Mechanic (don't have it?, tut, tut, do you have a credit or debit card with $30.00 on it? Move back towards the computer, slowly place your hands on the keyboard . . . . .)
3. Then take the list of programs from the manufacturer that are not often removed by uninstall but that ARE part of the install (they may be in the DLL inner chamber of the Windows file), seek down those little gnats and rename them. Oh, you say MOTU does not have such a list?
(Again, move slowly towards the computer) . . . Well ring up.and ask MOTU techs about doing a clean install by removing, with a list they will supply (and they do have it), those pesky little gnats that are making Windows go shizoid.
By the way, the sign of quality support is the willingness to be upfront on this issue, Echo is ( every box they sell comes with a clean sweep utility built into the install), Cakewalk is and (dare I say the name?) Roland is.
So is Microsoft: read these files very carefully and follow intrepidly where so few dare to go.

Write down everything you do on the way to following the steps-it really helps.
Do a clean sweep of your computer
How to safely remove software and files from your PC
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322205
After you install a new hardware device or new software, Windows XP may continuously restart, or you may receive an error message on a blue screen
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredon ... sweep.mspx 8)
whentomorrowfails

allllllllll riiiiighty then...

so, after going through the reg and cleaning out EVERY single MOTU file i could find, doing a clean install of the software, AND buying a new "TI" chipset firewire card for my laptop, it still DID NOT work. after going through all of that, my father and i decided that he should take it home and try it on his 4 computers that he has, and it loaded right up on ALL of them, so we've come to the conclusion that we are having a conflict somewhere or another, and we're not sure where at, but we think it might be my wireless logitech mouse (we decided this after he took it home and it worked) we haven't yet tried to get rid of the drivers for the mouse yet, but probly will this week or something.

as an update though: EVERYTHING was recognized, but the MOTU itself, it did recognize both cards that were used, but we couldn't get the software to sync up with the hardware. so, conflict somewhere? hope so.
kudos,
-duane
1.86GHZ Pentium
3GB ram
466MHz Mac PowerPC G4
512MB ram
OSX 10.4.11
MOTU Traveler
DP6
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

rnm wrote:I've just looked at the manual for the card you have ,it has a VIA chipset, these can be flakey when it comes to audio hardware try to find a card with a TI chipset, I use a Belkin card,
As rnm states -- you need a diff firewire card with a CHIPSET that is supported by MOTU. VIA is not good for this. You need TI or Lucent.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... mcia-cards

MOTU FireWire audio interfaces and PCI/PCMCIA FireWire card chip sets

MOTU recommends using strictly FireWire PCI/PCMCIA cards based on the Texas Instrument chipset.

There's an incompatibility between the NEC chip found in some FireWire cards and the MOTU FireWire line of interface.

If the FireWire installer warns you that you're running a FireWire card with the NEC chip, you should replace said card with a card that uses the TI (Texas Instruments) or Lucent chip. Keyspan, Sonnet, Miglia, and ADS are a few of the many brands using the TI or Lucent FireWire chips.

Please check with the manufacturer of the FireWire card before purchasing it to ensure it has the TI or Lucent chip. Note that nearly all combo USB/FireWire cards do not a use TI or Lucent chip, so you will need a dedicated FireWire card.

For additional considerations about FireWire cards when using the Traveler or UltraLite, please see this tech note.

---------------------------------------------------------------
SEE ALSO:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... Wire-Power

I'm having trouble powering my Traveler or UltraLite via FireWire

There are some considerations when powering the Traveler or UltraLite via the FireWire bus.

The Traveler or UltraLite can draw its power from the computer via the FireWire bus. If you're using FireWire bus power on the Traveler you must set the Bus Power switch on the right side of the unit is to "On".

There are some additional considerations when using FireWire bus power when your FireWire ports are on a PCI or PCMCIA card. PCI cards must have a direct connection to the power supply harness inside the computer, and PCMCIA cards must have an external power supply (most commonly a DC power adapter that plugs into an AC power outlet). Keep in mind that we strongly recommend using a PCI or PCMCIA card with a Texas Instrument or Lucent FireWire chip set with all of our FireWire interfaces (see this technote for details).

The Traveler and UltraLite cannot be powered via the FireWire bus when using a 4-to-6 pin FireWire cable. The unit will function properly in all other manners, but you will need to use DC or battery power instead of FireWire.

Also, when powering the Traveler or UltraLite via the FireWire bus, we do not recommend daisy-chaining other FireWire devices on the same bus. In general, daisy-chaining FireWire bus powered devices is not recommended.

For more info on powering the Traveler or UltraLite via DC adapter, please see this technote.
whentomorrowfails

as i stated, we went and got a ti chipset card, and it still didn't work on my computer, but BOTH the via and ti worked on all of my dad's computers, or which ever ones he tried anyway. and i was not using the bus power, i have no need to use it.

thanks for the help though
kudos,
-duane
1.86GHZ Pentium
3GB ram
466MHz Mac PowerPC G4
512MB ram
OSX 10.4.11
MOTU Traveler
DP6
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

whentomorrowfails wrote:as i stated, we went and got a ti chipset card, and it still didn't work on my computer, but BOTH the via and ti worked on all of my dad's computers, or which ever ones he tried anyway. and i was not using the bus power, i have no need to use it.

thanks for the help though
Let us know if it was the mouse drivers then.

whentomorrowfails

most certainly will do!
kudos,
-duane
1.86GHZ Pentium
3GB ram
466MHz Mac PowerPC G4
512MB ram
OSX 10.4.11
MOTU Traveler
DP6