Traveler 1394b ExpressCard error message

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
tourtelot
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Traveler 1394b ExpressCard error message

Post by tourtelot »

"Device in on a bus that does not support transfer rate." Huh? Any ideas?

Averatec 2370
Abocom 1394B FW ExpressCard (TI chipset)
Connection good
Traveler works fine out of on-board 4-pin FW port (I just HATE the flimsy connection and the ExpressCard was a shot at making it a little less prone to failure.) I'd love to make this work, because, ergonomically, it's way better than Gaff-taping the bad 4-pin plug onto my computer case so it doesn't self-eject while I am recoding!
Douglas Tourtelot, CAS
Seattle, WA
Gerry G
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Solved

Post by Gerry G »

Had the same frustration.

My solution was to get a big bit of cardboard to take to gigs.

Now I insist on a table where there is sufficient room to put the laptop on a cooling silent fan pad side by side with the Traveler.

This has three benefits, one I do not flick the phantom power switches accidentally any more, two I can tilt the Traveler up and see the display being carful to drape the leads at the back so they are not under pressure and three I can tape the firewire four pin cable (and all other cables) to the cardboard so everything is steady as a rock (earthquakes and landslides aside).

A slight pressure on the firewire cable keeps a positive pressure on it and I tape fairly near the right hand side of the laptop where the port is. It cannot come out unless the table falls over or something dramatic like that occurs,

The cardbus feels firmer but it sticks out the front of the unit on my laptop and is more prone to be nudged.
tourtelot

Post by tourtelot »

Yeah, I came up with a bit of nylon under and some velcro to keep the 4-pin from moving (bumping the top of the plug would sometimes momentarily disconnect the circuit). It is still one of the stupidest connectors known to man.

D.
Douglas Tourtelot, CAS
Seattle, WA
Hard2Hear

Post by Hard2Hear »

tourtelot

Post by tourtelot »

Seen those. Very good idea. Unfortunately, directly to one side of the FW port on my laptop is the DVD-RAM drive; to the other, the power connector. Darn!<g>
Douglas Tourtelot, CAS
Seattle, WA
RJH_MUSIC

Post by RJH_MUSIC »

I am no technician, but have gained a massive amount of knowledge in the past three days on this from reading posts. Here is what I think. I just bought a SIIG ExpressCard Firewire that has 9 and 6 pin on it because it supports 1394a which Firewire 400 (6 pin connector) and 1394b which is Firewire 800 (9 pin connector). When you install the card windows loads it's own 1394a driver and you do not need to install any other drivers. If you installed the 1394b driver and possibly have connected to the 9 pin connector, then your computer or the audio interface does not support Firewire 800. Use 6 in connector on the card to run at the transfer rate of Firewire 400, or reload 1394a drivers.

Hope this helps

RJ
HP Pavillion DV9500T, 4 gig Ram, Dual 20" Display, 512Mb Nividia 8600 video, 3 SATA HD 7200 RPM 520 Gig max. Cubase VST, SX and 4.02, Halion3, Grove Agent 2, Virt Guit, EWQL Sym. Choir, Voices of Pass, NI Kontakt 2 Kore, Giovani Edition, DIVA, Melodyne Studio 3.2, BFD
Roland JV, XP, D, XV series synths, Korg TR, Triton, O3R/W, M3R, MTPAV (2) USB, Ultralite, Mackie 8 Bus, HUI.