Rock Music and DP

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
ltemma74
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Rock Music and DP

Post by ltemma74 »

Hey there 'cornies!

I've been a lurker for several months, but an infrequent contributor as I just assembled a DP rig within the last four months. I'm still absorbing information and learning the software.

My band tracked our debut EP on analog (2" tape) for free (!) at a school (www.expression.edu) and then we trasferred to digital at 16/44 and used DP for the mixing and mastering. The tracking is done in the context of a classroom session in the studio, so it's not as professional or accomodating an atmosphere as when you're paying for a studio...but it's free! Anyone in the Bay Area should look into tracking there - they have SSL and Neve consoles and it doesn't cost you a penny.

Mixing was 1/2 ITB 1/2 OTB, if that makes sense. Tracks were sent from DP into an anolog mixer through ADAT converters and then several outboard reverbs and effects were used. Then it went back into DP somehow as a stereo file for mastering. A few DP plugins were used, but most was OTB. There are very few effects in there other than verb and compression. Maybe a little delay here and there. DP was used mostly like a tape deck with a few plugs here and there.

Mastering was all done using DP ITB by a different guy. Total cost from start to finish from recording to master CD was $1,000. We were basically trying to get a decent documentation of our sound without focusing too much on fancy production.

We'd all be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the music, performance, mix, sound, etc. Constructive criticism is always helpful and appreciated.

www.myspace.com/thefeeders

And in the unlikely event that you just gotta have these tunes on a CD with cheesy band-created artwork, you can always get it on iTunes or cdbaby or whatever. :)

Thanks!
Len

PS - I've also been doing some recording in DP entirely at home and will hopefully be sharing it with you soon.
24" iMac, 10.4.1?, DP 5.13, Traveler
Akai96
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Akai96 »

Sweet! :)