Guitar Shop

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
rcannonp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Guitar Shop

Post by rcannonp »

I was checking out the serial number of my Les Paul online, just to see what I could find out, and I stumbled upon this.

Gibson USA Factory Tour - Welcome

I found it quite entertaining. Seeing how they are made gives you a better appreciation for the craftsmanship that goes into them.

My guitar came from this plant on Feb. 22, 1990. I'm glad that I bought one when I did. There is no way that I could afford one now.

Here is where I got the serial # info.
The Guitar Dater Project - Gibson Serial Number Decoder
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

i got my prs in the spring of '92. it came straight from the factory (literally, the guy drove to the factory in annapolis, and picked it up).
looking at the prices of them now, i feel just as you do.
what i got for $1500 (incl tax) then would cost me over $3k now...
cool info on the serial number thing...i'll have to forward that to my dad who has a really weird old gibson sg...

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
rcannonp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rcannonp »

I paid $695 for my LP. It was a lot of money for a teenager back then, but so far it averages out to about $41/year. I think that the prices started to shoot up in '92 or '93. I was in GC a few weeks ago and looked at the Les Paul prices. A new one just like mine cost over $2100.

I bought the guitar at the height of the 80's pop metal fad. I remember specifically wanting a classic guitar and not a Jackson or Ibanez. I figured that if a Les Paul was good enough for Jimmy Page, then it was probably good enough for me.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100