I'm a recording noob and can't get my 8pre to work. help?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Bozarth
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

I'm a recording noob and can't get my 8pre to work. help?

Post by Bozarth »

I tried searching, but couldn't find an answer, so do forgive me if this had already been resolved.

Perhaps I'm too used to using my ProTools mBox2 hardware (which worked RIGHT out of the box with no additional software tweaking). I installed the 8pre's drivers, connected it via the firewire, plugged a microphone into the back, flipped on the phantom power switch, made some noise, saw that it came up on the front panel of the 8pre, opened Cubase SX, activated the 8pre's AVIO plugin, added 8 audio tracks to my new project, went to record, and... nothing. I read through the book several times, and that didn't resolve my problem.

Am I missing something stupid?
Pappy725
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Pappy725 »

I don't know about Cubase, but in DP you have to assign inputs to the individual tracks.
HTH,
Stephen
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Start up Cubase,start a new project, setup the MOTU ASIO-driver in the device-setup, hit F4 and define your input and output-buses.

Next you add you add a track to your project and use one of the defined input-buses as your input. To check the input-level, hit F3 for the mixer or use the monitor-button on the track.

Or in other words, RTFM :wink: .
ASUSP4P800se PIV2,8GHz 2048Mb Ram
MOTU 8PRE
Korg I3 BCF2000
SX 3.1/C4 XP Pro SP2

"Hey, buddy. I'm a christian and I don't like what you said about Christians"
"Well, forgive me then!" (Bill Hicks)
Bozarth

Post by Bozarth »

I read the manual, but I'm confused as to what I'm supposed to do here:

I click on "Add Bus" and it gives me:

Bozarth

Post by Bozarth »

Ok, so I managed to figure out how to set the input. Still nothing. I can't even hear anything when I have headphones plugged in and no firewire is connected.
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Judging from the screenshots, you don't seem to have selected the MOTU ASIO-driver in Cubase.
The reason why you don't hear anything in the headphones without the firewire connected is probably because you didn't turn up the faders of the active channel in the Cuemix application or because the headphone output is turned down.
MOTU 8PRE
Korg I3 BCF2000
SX 3.1/C4 XP Pro SP2

Bozarth

Post by Bozarth »

Well, I selected it. Maybe I should try to reinstall the drivers.
Bozarth

Post by Bozarth »

Just reinstalled the drivers, and I don't see anything different.
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Could you post a screenshot of the device-setup?
Do you see any activity in the Cuemix application?
MOTU 8PRE
Korg I3 BCF2000
SX 3.1/C4 XP Pro SP2

RedFoxxy23

Post by RedFoxxy23 »

---
mwt

Post by mwt »

This sounds like the same problem I'm having.

Windows XP SP2
Sony Vegas 4.0
Motu 8Pre

Basically, I've installed the 8pre drivers and I get no output from the 8pre anywhere. I've opened a couple tech notes with MOTU support which led to me getting an RMA and sending my unit back. They couldn't duplicate the problem but, sent me a new unit they had tested. I got it back and its the same problem. I still haven't heard anything back from them.

I have it setup where I plug in a mic to channel 1 on the 8pre and adjust the channel gain so I can see input level on the 8pre. I go into Vegas, assign the input to Analog 1 on the 8pre and arm the track. I show no level in Vegas when speaking into the mic even though I see level on the front of the 8pre.

When I opened my first technote the guy made a couple troubleshooting suggestions that take the recording software out of the equation. If I go to Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices and set it to use the 8Pre instead of my sound card for windows sounds I still get no sound. Basically, I hook up the main outs from the 8pre to my stereo and plug headphones into the headphones jack on the 8pre, turn up both levels all the way (on the 8pre) and go into Windows Media Player and play a .wav file. According to MOTU I should hear it play at this point. I hear nothing.

So, I can get input into the 8pre but, not out again. Any ideas would be helpful.....